CHARLESTON, S.C. – Two key treys from Duncan LeXander and free throws down the stretch pushed Charleston Southern men’s basketball to their third-straight Big South win Thursday night taking down Presbyterian 74-66 inside Buccaneer Field House.
Charleston Southern (10-9, 4-3 Big South) opened the second half with a 12-2 run to break what was a 33-all tie at the break for a 45-35 lead before holding a margin as high as 12 in the closing 20 minutes. Presbyterian (8-12, 5-2 Big South) would fight back into the contest with their own run but a LeXander trey with 6:27 to play would give CSU a 60-59 lead, one they would hold to the final whistle.
LeXander would add another corner three just moments later for a 63-59 lead before finishing the night with 12 points. He was joined in double figures by Phlandrous Fleming Jr., who scored a game-high 25 and Ty Jones added 12 himself.
Fleming now has 20-plus points in eight of his last nine games and sits third in the Big South Conference at 22.5 points a contest in league play.
The win was the fifth-straight in the all-time series for CSU who has dominated the Blue Hose on their home floor taking 10 of the 13 matchups in Charleston.
How It Happened
- CSU and Presbyterian would trade baskets over the opening 20 minutes as neither team could grab a lead larger than five.
- Fleming scored 14 of his game-high 25 in the first half as the Bucs and Blue Hose entered the locker room deadlocked at 33-all thanks to a .524 field goal percentage from the visitors.
- Despite not shooting a free throw over the first 20 minutes, Charleston Southern knocked down five shots from downtown and stole four passes.
- CSU would come out hot in the second half with a 12-2 run and 45-35 lead forcing an early Presbyterian timeout.
- The Bucs would hold a 12-point margin before the Blue Hose made their own 20-6 run over a 5-minute span for a 58-57 lead with 6:53 to play.
- LeXander hit a triple with 6:27 to play for a 60-59 lead and would hit a second one just moments later for a 63-59 cushion, one the Bucs would lockdown over the closing minutes.
- CSU would balloon the lead to 69-61 with :53 left before free throws iced the game for a fifth home victory in 2019-20 and fifth-straight win over Presbyterian.
News and Notes
- Phlandrous Fleming Jr. scored a game-high 25 points, nine rebounds and three steals – the eighth time over his last nine games Fleming has scored over 20 points.
- Duncan LeXander reached double figures in the win hitting two clutch three-point baskets to give CSU the lead for good
- Ty Jones added 12 points and a pair of assists while hitting both his free throws to help the Bucs ice it down the stretch
- CSU turned 15 Blue Hose turnovers into 24 points and shot .519 from the field in the second half for a .483 mark across the full 40 minutes
- CSU also improved to 3-0 on Thursdays this season taking down USC Upstate, Campbell and Presbyterian with two coming at home and the middle contest on ESPNU