MT. PLEASANT, S.C. --- A pair of six-run innings propelled the College of Charleston to a 14-4 series-clinching win over Youngstown State on Saturday afternoon at Patriots Point as four players recorded a multi-RBI game and freshman Caswell Smith collected his second win in as many starts.
Final Score: College of Charleston 14, Youngstown State 4
Location: Mount Pleasant, S.C.
Records: Charleston (4-1), Youngstown State (2-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Cougars rallied from an early 2-0 deficit with two runs in the third followed by six-run frames in the fourth and sixth innings to pick up their fourth win of the season. Ari Sechopoulos went 2-for-4 with three RBI while Trotter Harlan and Donald Hansis each added a two-run bomb. Caswell Smith fanned five in five innings of work to earn the win.
Sechopoulos continued his strong start to the season with a 2-for-4 effort driving in three runs with a double and a triple. The senior first baseman also scored twice to push his team-leading total to seven runs scored.
· Harlan reached and scored three times via two walks and a two-run homer – his first collegiate long ball.
· Sechopoulos collected his team-leading ninth and 10th RBIs while recording his third multi-hit game.
· Austin George, Grant Smith and Emmett Bice each tossed a scoreless frame in their respective season debuts.
· Bice marked his collegiate debut with two strikeouts in a perfect 1-2-3 ninth.
· Hansis launched his first home run as a Cougar with a two-run shot to right in the fourth.
· Joseph Mershon reached and scored three times out of the eight-hole.
· Luke Stageberg continued his solid start with three RBI in a 1-for-3 effort that included a two-run single and a bases-loaded walk.
· Landon Choboy went 2-for-4 with an RBI double in his second start of the season.