Woman sues Old Navy after grandson dies following choking incident

VIDEO: Woman sues Old Navy after grandson dies following choking incident

GEORGETOWN COUNTY, S.C. (WCSC) - A Georgetown County woman is suing Old Navy after she claims her grandson died after choking on a ball dispensed at the store in Myrtle Beach.

According to the lawsuit, the child purchased what looked to be a gum-ball from a machine that resembled a gum-ball machine in October, 2017.

The lawsuit states the 10-year-old later placed the ball in his mouth, and it became lodged in his throat.

The child was taken to the hospital, air-lifted to MUSC and was declared brain-dead six days later, according the lawsuit.

The grandmother says she is suing for many complaints, including wrongful death and negligence.

“We are saddened by this tragedy and want to extend our deep condolences to the family for their unimaginable loss," Old Navy spokesperson Avery Vaught said in a statement. "Because of the pending litigation, we are unable to provide further comment at this time.”

Copyright 2020 WCSC. All rights reserved.