CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — Kaiden Rice had 23 points as The Citadel rolled past Carver College 102-51 on Wednesday night.
Fletcher Abee had 15 points for The Citadel (5-0). Brent Davis added 15 points and seven rebounds. Jerry Higgins III had 14 points.
The Citadel is undefeated (2-0) when scoring at least 100 points this season.
Bryson Scott had 21 points for the Cougars. Paul Hepburn added 12 points and 11 rebounds.
How it Happened
- The Bulldogs jumped to an 11-0 lead in the first five minutes of the game on three-straight three-pointers from Fletcher Abee.
- Kaiden Rice would then knock down three three-pointers of his own as part of a 23-2 run that saw the Bulldogs open a 34-4 lead with 7:05 left to play in the opening half.
- The lead would grow to as many as 37 points in the first half before The Citadel went into the locker room with a 54-19 advantage.
- The Cougars were able to knock down a few shots to start the second half, but the Bulldogs responded with a 13-2 run to stretch the lead to 71-27.
- Stephen Clark secured his first career double-double with back-to-back baskets with just over eight minutes to play.
- The Bulldog bench continued to knock down deep shots in the final five minutes as Jerry Higgins, III knocked down a pair of three pointers, Brent Davis added one and Robert Guyton closed out the scoring with a three-pointer from the wing.
Inside the Numbers
- The victory improved the Bulldogs to 5-0 on the season, matching the third best start in program history. The Bulldogs opened the 1957-58 with victories over Newberry, Presbyterian, William & Mary (2) and Virginia Tech
- The 51-point victory is the largest since the Bulldogs defeated the Cougars by 68 points a season ago.
- As a team, the Bulldogs finished 15-of-38 from beyond the arc, while holding the Cougars to 0-of-10 shooting from three-point range.
- The Bulldogs placed five players in double figures with Kaiden Rice leading the way with 23 points. He finished 8-of-13 from the floor and 5-of-10 from beyond the arc.
- Fletcher Abee and Brent Davis each finished with 15 points.
- Davis was 5-of-5 from the field and 4-of-4 from beyond the arc.
- Over the last two games, Davis is a perfect 9-of-9 from the field and 6-of-6 from beyond the arc.
- Jerry Higgins, III finished with 14 points, four rebounds and three assists.
- Stephen Clark posted his first career double-double with 12 points and 14 rebounds.
- Dylan Engler came off the bench to pull down a season-best seven rebounds.
- The Bulldogs pulled down 58 rebounds, compared to just 34 for Carver. It marks the best rebounding total since grabbing 62 rebounds against Johnson (Fla.) on Nov. 14, 2018.