FARMVILLE, Va. – Fletcher Abee came off a screen knocked down a three-pointer with less than a minute to play to give The Citadel a 91-89 victory over Longwood Saturday afternoon.
Final Score: The Citadel 91, Longwood 89
Records: The Citadel (6-0), Longwood (1-6)
Location: Farmville, Virginia (Willett Hall)
Series: The Citadel leads 2-1
How it Happened
· The two teams struggled to get going offensively in the early minutes. Hayden Brown knocked down a pair of free throws with 12:31 left in the half to give the Bulldogs a 12-10 lead.
· The teams would begin to exchange baskets and free throws over the next six minutes. Brent Davis made both of his attempts to give the Bulldogs the 26-25 advantage with just over six minutes left in the half.
· Kaiden Rice knocked down a three-pointer that sparked a 13-4 Bulldog run to close out the first half and sent the teams to the locker room with The Citadel leading 44-38.
· After the teams went scoreless for nearly two minutes to start the second half, the Bulldogs offense got going with a basket from Brown and a three-pointer from Rice.
· The next portion of the game belonged to Brown as he scored 17 points in the second half to help the Bulldogs open a 77-72 advantage.
· The momentum shifted with just over six minutes to play when Brown picked up his fifth foul.
· The Lancers immediately went on a 6-0 run to take their first lead of the second half.
· The lead would switch hands 10 times over the next five minutes with Longwood opening up the biggest lead, 89-86, on a pair of free throws from DeShaun Wade with 1:42 left to play.
· The Bulldogs would get within one point on its next possession as Tyler Moffe was able to knock down a shot.
· The Lancers had a chance to extend the lead on their next possession, but an offensive foul gave the ball back to the Bulldogs.
· On the ensuing possession, Abee came around a screen and got the ball from Moffe for the game-winning three-pointer with 52 seconds left in the game.
· The Bulldogs would need one more stop to secure the victory and that came on the final play when Derek Webster, Jr. challenged a shot at the rim that rattled out as the final horn sounded.
Inside the Numbers
· The victory improved the Bulldogs to 6-0 on the season, marking the best start since the 1919-20 season.
· It marked the second-straight year the Bulldogs have won a game at Longwood on Dec. 19.
· Hayden Brown recorded his fourth double-double of the season with 26 points and 10 rebounds. He did his damage at the free-throw line as he finished 11-of-12 from the line.
· The game also marked the fourth time this season that Brown has scored more than 20 points.
· Kaiden Rice scored 19 points on 4-of-12 shooting from beyond the arc. It marked the fifth time this season that Rice has made at least four three-pointers in a game.
· Fletcher Abee finished with 16 points two assists and two blocks. The game-winning three-pointer was his fourth of the game.
· Tyler Moffe was the fourth Bulldog in double figures, scoring 11 points. He added five rebounds and four assists.
· Brady Spence was nearly the fifth Bulldog starter in double figures with nine points and four rebounds. He finished 5-of-6 from the free throw line.
· As a team, the Bulldogs went 30-of-38 from the charity stripe. The 30 makes are the most since the Bulldogs made 35 free throws against Toccoa Falls on Dec. 7, 2016.