CHARLESTON, S.C. – Radford shot over .500 from the floor including 38 points in the paint on their way to a 79-64 win over Charleston Southern Saturday in the series opener from Buccaneer Field House.
Radford (7-6, 6-1 Big South) got 38 points in the paint and shot a blistering .567 from the floor in the first half before clamping down on defense to hold Charleston Southern (1-8, 0-5 Big South) to just 24 second-half points.
Freshman guard Fah’Mir Ali paced the hot-shooting Highlanders with 20 points while Josiah Jeffers added 10 off the bench and 11 of the 12 players to see the floor scored. Phlandrous Fleming Jr. led the way for Charleston Southern scoring 20 points while Jamir Moore added 12 and Sean Price finished with 11 on the day.
Both teams scored 40-plus in the opening stanza before defenses controlled the second with neither posting more than 30 in the second half.
How It Happened
- Both teams came out trading baskets as Radford shot .567 and CSU connected on .419 of their opening-half attempts
- Fah’Mir Ali scored 12 of his team-high 20 points in the first half as the Highlanders led most of the way while Phlandrous Fleming Jr. kept the Bucs around with his 18 in the first half
- Radford posted 49 in the opening half before grabbing a 22-point lead with just 5 minute left in the contest
- Points in the paint proved to be the difference Saturday as the Highlanders had 38 and Charleston Southern had 14
News and Notes
- Phlandrous Fleming Jr. scored 20-plus points for the second-straight contest after a season-best 33 Tuesday
- Jamir Moore added 12 off the bench hitting three shots from outside and grabbing a career-high five rebounds
- Sean Price finished the night in double figures for the seventh time over the first nine games of the season including three of the Bucs’ five conference matchups
- Sadarius Bowser tied a season-high with eight points off the bench hitting all three field goal attempts