CHARLESTON, S.C. – Radford broke open a defensive struggle in the second half to pull away for a 68-48 decision over Charleston Southern Sunday afternoon from Buccaneer Field House.
Dravon Mangum and Fah’Mir Ali paced Radford (8-6, 7-1 Big South) with 16 and 12 points each while Charleston Southern (1-9, 0-6 Big South) senior guard Phlandrous Fleming Jr. had 18 in the series finale.
Defenses dictated play in the opening 20 minutes as Radford held a 24-20 lead at the intermission with neither team shooting above 38%, but a second-half 15-2 run broke the game open to a 40-22 Highlander advantage at the 14:53 mark.
Fleming scored 11 of his game-high 18 points in the second half but the Highlanders had an answer for any Charleston Southern run.
How it Happened
- Neither offense could find a rhythm in the first half with Radford taking a 24-20 advantage into the locker room
- Radford used a 15-2 run in the opening five minutes of the second half to stretch the lead to as much as 28 in the final moments
- Charleston Southern had a quick 7-0 run in the closing moments but the visiting Highlanders used 36 points in the paint and 24 off turnovers to thwart any comeback attempt
News and Notes
- Phlandrous Fleming Jr. continues to score in droves for the Bucs posting 18 more Sunday
- Fleming moved into sole possession of 9th on the all-time Division I scoring list at CSU with 1,286 career points