CHARLESTON, S.C. – Left fielder Cole Simpson did a little bit of everything for the Bulldogs on Sunday as The Citadel completed a three-game sweep over Davidson with an 8-4 victory at Joseph P. Riley, Jr. Park.
Simpson went 3-for-5 with a pair of RBIs, made a diving catch in left field and also threw out a runner at the plate.
Score: The Citadel 8, Davidson 4
Records: Davidson (5-8), The Citadel (7-7)
Location: Joseph P. Riley, Jr. Park (Charleston, South Carolina)
Series: The Citadel sweeps 3-0
How it Happened
· For the second-straight game, the Bulldogs got on the board in the first inning. With one out, Tyler Corbitt and Cole Simpson singled to put runners on the corners.
· Noah Mitchell drove in Corbitt with a base hit to center and Travis Lott delivered a sacrifice fly to right field.
· The Wildcats evened the score in the second inning on a RBI single from John Hosmer and a RBI groundout off the bat of Matt Gravely.
· DAV took its first lead of the series in the fourth inning on a solo home run from Trevor Candelaria.
· The Bulldogs answered back to regain the lead in the bottom of the inning as Jeffery Brown started a two-out rally with a base hit to right center. Corbitt drew a walk ahead of Simpson’s RBI ground-rule double into the right field corner.
· The second run scored when the relief pitcher was called for a balk before even throwing a pitch.
· In the top of the fifth, the Wildcats tried to tie the game on a base hit, but Simpson fired home to get the runner trying to score from second and keep the Bulldogs in front.
· The bats came alive in the bottom of the inning as two more runs scored on a Brooks O’Brien triple to right center.
· Simpson drove in his second run of the game with a base hit in the sixth, and Logan Taplett drove in a run with a groundout to short.
· The Wildcats got one run back in the seventh on a RBI double from Alex Fedje-Johnson.
Inside the Box Score
· The Bulldogs completed the three-game sweep of Davidson by allowing just four runs on the weekend. The Citadel outscored Davidson 29-4 in the three games.
· The sweep was the first of the season for the Bulldogs.
· Cole Simpson led the offense by going 3-for-5 with a double and two RBIs.
· Brooks O’Brien went 2-for-3 with a walk and a two-run triple.
· Jeffery Brown and Tyler Corbitt each went 2-for-4 and combined to score four runs.
· Noah Mitchell was the sixth Bulldog to have a multi-hit game, going 2-for-4.
· The top five hitters in the lineup all had multi-hit games and combined to go 11-for-22 with three RBIs and six runs scored.
· Right hander Lathan Todd (1-2) picked up his first victory of the season after allowing three runs on five hits over 5.0 innings.
· Devin Beckley (2) struck out three over the final 2.0 innings to pick up the save.