MT. PLEASANT, S.C. --- Harrison Hawkins drove in six runs with two home runs, including a grand slam, and Ari Sechopoulos added a two-run shot of his own to lead the College of Charleston to an 11-8 win over UNCW on Saturday afternoon in Colonial Athletic Association play at Patriots Point.
Final Score: College of Charleston 11, UNCW 8
Location: Mt. Pleasant, S.C.
Records: Charleston (6-11, 3-2 CAA), UNCW (13-7, 2-3 CAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Seahawks opened the scoring with a run in the top of the first. Sechopoulos answered for Charleston in the home half, sending the first pitch he saw to dead center for a two-run homer to give the Cougars a 2-1 lead with his third big fly of the week. Hawkins tattooed a 0-1 pitch to left for a two-run bomb in the fifth to put the Cougars ahead, 5-1. After UNCW countered with a three-run sixth, Charleston responded with a six-run home half marked by a Hawkins grand slam to take an 11-4 lead. The Seahawks would trim the margin to 11-8 with a pair of two-run shots in the seventh before the Cougars’ bullpen shut the door.
Hawkins paced the offense with his first career multi-homer game, driving in six runs with a two-run shot in the fifth and the Cougars’ third grand slam of the season in the sixth. The senior outfielder finished the 3-for-4 with three runs scored after singling and scoring on Sechopoulos’ first-inning bomb.
· Joseph Mershon extended his hitting streak to six games with a double in the fifth and plated one with a bases loaded walk in the sixth.
· Eight of the Cougars’ nine starters reached base with seven doing so via a hit.
· Second-year freshman Trey Pooser picked up his second win of the season allowing three earned runs and striking out four in five and one-third innings of work.
· Jared Kirven went 2-for-4 with a double and a run scored.
· Senior Jordan Carr tossed two perfect innings with two strikeouts to earn his first career save.