ATHENS, Ga. – Freshman Will Sanders pitched eight-plus innings, allowing just one run while the University of South Carolina baseball team’s offense belted three home runs in a 5-1 win over Georgia Sunday afternoon (April 4) at Foley Field.
Carolina picks up a series win over Georgia in Athens for the first time since 2010. Sanders allowed eight hits and one run while not walking a batter with four strikeouts to move to 5-1 on the season.
Julian Bosnic picked up his first save of 2021, striking out a batter in a scoreless ninth.
Burgess’ sacrifice fly in the sixth closed the scoring. Allen was 2-for-4 with three RBI and two runs scored while Braylen Wimmer had two hits for the Gamecocks.
- Sanders had the team’s longest outing of 2021, pitching into the ninth inning. Sanders is now 5-1 with a 2.22 ERA, 30 strikeouts and five walks in 28.1 innings pitched.
- Allen has a pair of two home run games. He also had two home runs last Sunday vs. Florida.
- Carolina moves to 6-3 in the SEC, good for third place in the East behind Vanderbilt (8-1) and Tennessee (7-2).
- Burgess now has 10 RBI on the year after his pair on Sunday.
- Carolina now has 44 home runs this season, with Wes Clarke’s 15 leading the way.