Cougars Blast Way to Series-Opening Win Over Dukes
MT. PLEASANT, S.C. --- College of Charleston blasted three home runs, Ari Sechopoulos drove in a career-high six runs and Ty Good struck out 10 as the Cougars defeated James Madison, 14-7, in Friday night’s weekend series opener at Patriots Point.
Final Score: College of Charleston 14, James Madison 7
Location: Mount Pleasant, S.C.
Records: Charleston (14-14, 6-4 CAA), James Madison (5-8, 2-2 CAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Cougars jumped out to an early lead with a five-run first inning highlighted by Sechopoulos’ grand slam to right center. A two-run shot from Trotter Harlan in the second and an RBI single from Sechopoulos would push the lead to 8-0 before Brody Hopkins gave the Cougars a 10-run advantage with a two-run homer of his own in the third. Charleston held a 12-0 lead before James Madison got on the board with a two-run long ball in the sixth, which the Cougars answered with two in the home half. The Dukes would plated three in the seventh and two in the ninth to cap the scoring.
Sechopoulos finished a triple shy of the cycle with a grand slam, RBI single and run-scoring double. He finished the night 3-for-4 with two runs scored, a walk and a career-high six RBI.
· The Cougars launched three homers for the second straight game and have now homered in eight straight contests for the first time since the 2015 season.
· Sechopoulos’ first-inning grand slam is the second of his career and the Cougars’ fifth this season.
· Harlan clubbed his second homer of the campaign as part of a 2-for-4 night with three RBI.
· Joseph Mershon went 3-for-5 with three runs scored to extend his reached-base streak to 17 games.
· Nine Cougars recorded at least one hit as CofC equaled its season-high of 14 runs scored.
· Six Cougars drove in at least one run and five players scored multiple times.
· Good earned his third win of the season with 10 strikeouts and two earned runs over seven innings of work.
· Tanner Steffy and Harrison Hawkins each reached base three times and drove in one run.
The Cougars and Dukes will meet in game two of the series tomorrow afternoon. First pitch is scheduled for 2:00 p.m. at Patriots Point.