Steffy, Kirven Power Cougars to 6-3 Win Over Elon
ELON, N.C. --- Tanner Steffy and Jared Kirven each homered in the sixth inning and Connor Campbell held Elon scoreless through the first seven innings as College of Charleston bounced back with a 6-3 win in Sunday’s series finale with the Phoenix in Colonial Athletic Association play.
Final Score: College of Charleston 6, Elon 3
Location: Elon, N.C.
Records: Charleston (18-18, 8-7 CAA), Elon (16-18, 8-7 CAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Cougars scored the first two runs of the game in the fourth inning, and added three in the sixth on a two-run bomb by Steffy and a solo shot from Kirven to take a 5-0 lead. Campbell kept the Phoenix off the board until the eighth inning and Zach Williams pitched a perfect ninth to close out the 6-3 win.
Campbell turned in his fourth third quality start in his last four appearances to earn his fifth win of the season. The freshman southpaw allowed three runs on nine hits – all singles – while striking out five and walking two over eight innings of work. He did not allow a run until the eighth and stranded six Phoenix in scoring position.
· Steffy clubbed his fourth homer of the season with a two-run shot in the sixth.
· Kirven drove in two runs with an RBI groundout and his first collegiate homer in the sixth.
· Luke Stageberg went 2-for-4 with a double and an RBI.
· Ari Sechopoulos reached and scored twice with a double.
· Williams worked a 1-2-3 ninth on 13 pitches to earn his fourth save.
· The Cougars batted .400 (2-for-5) with runners in scoring position.
· Campbell and Williams held the Phoenix without an extra-base hit and hitless with two outs.
The Cougars return to the diamond on Friday, May 7 when they travel to Williamsburg, Va. to open a three-game series with William & Mary. First pitch for Friday’s opener is scheduled for 6:00 pm.