Crews rescue people trapped inside elevator
CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCSC) - Emergency crews with the Charleston Fire Department worked Sunday night to rescue people trapped inside an overloaded elevator.
The Charleston Fire Department says the elevator at the Vendue hotel was overloaded and stopped operating.
Chief Fire Marshal Mike Julazadeh says multiple crews are working to remove the occupants from the elevator.
LaKeesha Johnson says she was on the elevator for two and a half hours after heading to the rooftop bar for a friend’s birthday.
“Well, I had to go to the top of the elevator and they brought ropes down and hooked us up to a harness and we had to climb the wall and they pulled us up while I was climbing the wall up,” Johnson said.
No injuries have been reported at this time. There was no immediate word on how many people were inside of the elevator when it stopped working.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
Copyright 2021 WCSC. All rights reserved.