Four displaced after fire sparks at West Ashley home
WEST ASHLEY, S.C. (WCSC) – Four people have been displaced after a fire sparked at their West Ashley home Friday afternoon.
Charleston and St. Andrews fire crews responded to the 1300 block of White Drive at around 2 p.m.
Kendra Parson, the daughter of the homeowners, said they were talking inside the home when they noticed smoke in the front room.
When her nephew went to his room, he saw a fire had sparked. The family then evacuated the home and asked neighbors to call 911.
Parson said her parents have lived at that home for over 40 years, and the house is a total loss.
“The house was, like as a kid, your playground, right, with so many different compartments,” Parson said. “You see stuff like this on TV, and you just don’t think it will happen to you. You’ll be like, ‘Oh, man, poor family,’ and now, it’s you, so it’s – we got time to make new memories, though.”
Parson said they will stay with family members for the night, and they will figure out what happens next.
In the meantime, a neighbor has offered to replace her nephew’s school supplies, so he can be ready for class on Monday.
The fire has since been extinguished.
Copyright 2021 WCSC. All rights reserved.