THE LIST: Weather-related closings and cancellations announced
CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCSC) - With the chance of winter precipitation this weekend, some schools, colleges and government offices are adjusting their schedules.
The Live 5 Weather team declared Friday and Saturday as First Alert Weather Days because of the threat of winter weather.
Much of the Lowcountry will be under a winter storm watch as of Friday, but for portions of the state, including Williamsburg, Georgetown and Orangeburg Counties, that watch takes effect Thursday afternoon.
Click here to download the free Live 5 First Alert Weather app to stay up to date on the latest weather conditions for your neighborhood.
Click here to upload photos or videos of winter weather in your neighborhood.
Here is the latest list of scheduling changes.
NOTE: This list is being updated as new information comes in, so be sure to check back for updates.
Schools, Colleges and Universities
- Berkeley County School District - Students will have an eLearning day on Friday and all before and after school activities are canceled. In addition, district officials say athletics and extracurricular activities are canceled on Saturday and Sunday.
- Charleston County School District - Friday is an eLearning day for students. District officials say extracurricular and afterschool programs are canceled for Friday and Saturday.
- The Citadel - The Citadel will close at 2 p.m. Friday and afternoon classes after 2 p.m. will be moved to a virtual format. School officials say essential services for cadets on campus will remain. Friday’s parade is canceled. Scheduled athletics will be addressed on a case-by-case basis by the school’s athletic department.
- Dorchester County School District Two - Friday has been designated an eLearning day for students in the district. All district schools and facilities will be closed on Friday. District officials say extracurricular activities, including athletic events and practices as well as extended day are canceled for Friday and Saturday.
- First Baptist School of Charleston - Both the Charleston and James Island campuses of First Baptist School of Charleston will be closed Friday.
- Georgetown County School District - The district says all schools and facilities will be closed and all school activities, including athletic events, are canceled for Friday and Saturday. Officials with the district say that the day will not have to be made up and asynchronous instruction will be provided to all students.
- Orangeburg-Calhoun Technical College - OC Tech will be closed Friday because of the threat of winter weather.
- Trident Technical College - Trident Technical College’s campuses and sites will be closed on Friday. Classes will move to a virtual format. Online and scheduled online meeting classes will proceed as scheduled. Students in in-person classes scheduled to meet on Friday should check the D2L learning platform for instructions from their instructors. Employees who are able should telecommute.
- We Care for Children Child Development Center - The center will be closed Friday because of the chance of winter weather.
- Williamsburg County School District - District officials say assignments will be posted for students or handed out as hard copy assignments. Parents are asked to contact their child’s school with any questions.
Local Government Offices, Agencies
- Beaufort County - Free NARCAN Training scheduled for Saturday in Bluffton and Beaufort has been canceled because of the possibility of winter weather. All county Convenience Centers closed at noon Friday and will reopen Saturday at Noon. This will give roadways and bridges time to thaw so the industrial haulers and general public can travel safely.
- Berkeley County - Berkeley County Government Offices will close at 3 p.m. Friday.
- City of Charleston - City of Charleston offices will close at 2 p.m. Friday. All city parks and recreation facilities, as well as scheduled programs, will close at 2 p.m. Friday and are expected to reopen at noon on Saturday if conditions allow. The workshop on the city’s new composting program scheduled for Saturday from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. at Frothy Beard’s outdoor patio has been canceled. Garbage and trash crews will run their routes as long as conditions allow. If they are unable to finish because of unsafe weather conditions, they will resume collection first thing Monday morning.
- Charleston County - Charleston County Government Offices will close at 2 p.m. Friday. The Charleston County Citizens Information Line will be open Friday from 12 p.m. to 8 p.m. and Saturday from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Residents can call 843-746-3900, or 843-746-3909 for Spanish, to get information about the winter storm. Please do not call this line to report a power outage or an emergency. Power outages can be reported directly to power providers. For emergencies, please dial 911. Convenience Centers will close at 2 p.m. on Friday and will remain closed on Saturday. All sites will resume normal hours on Monday. Recycling pickup will occur on schedule until 2 p.m. Any homes not serviced will be picked up first on their next scheduled service day.
- Charleston County Parks - All Charleston County parks will close at 2 p.m. on Friday and reopen at 11 a.m. on Saturday. The Campground at James Island County Park will remain open to registered guests.
- Charleston County Public Libraries - All branches will close at noon Friday. All book drops/material returns will remain open. Charleston County Public Libraries will monitor weather conditions on Saturday and adjust operations as needed.
- Colleton County - Colleton County Government will close all offices at 1 p.m. Friday because of the weather. Convenience centers will also close at 1 p.m. and reopen at noon on Saturday. Public safety and other essential personnel will be on duty.
- Dorchester County -Dorchester County Administrative Offices, Dorchester County Circuit, Family and Magistrate Courts, and Dorchester County Libraries will close at 3 p.m. on Friday.
- Georgetown County - Georgetown City offices and Georgetown County offices and facilities will close at noon on Friday. Parks and Recreation facilities won’t open at all as the area prepares for severe winter weather. All offices and facilities will close at noon, with exception of the landfill and community recycling centers, which will close at 1 p.m. Friday. The landfill will reopen at noon Saturday. All Georgetown County Library branches will be closed all day Saturday.
- Goose Creek - City offices and facilities will close at 3 p.m. Friday. This includes City Hall, Recreation, Muni. Court, Public Works facilities & offices as well as the City’s Crowfield Golf Club & driving range. Fire and Police services will continue to operate as normal.
- Moncks Corner - Moncks Corner Town Hall will close at 3 p.m. on Friday. Trash pick-up will remain on schedule for Friday and residents should put out trash by 7 a.m. Regional Recreation Sports are canceled. Berkeley County COVID Testing at the Regional Recreation Complex will be suspended on Friday and resume next week.
- North Charleston - City of North Charleston Government offices will close at 2 p.m. on Friday.
- Orangeburg County - Orangeburg County Government offices will be closed on Friday.
- Summerville - All town facilities will close at 3 p.m. Friday. Icy road conditions and flooding can be reported to the non-emergency dispatch line at 843-875-1650.
- Williamsburg County - Williamsburg County Government Offices will be closed on Friday.
Businesses and Civic Organizations
- Boone Hall Plantation - Boone Hall Plantation will close tour operations at 4 p.m. Friday and will reopen at 10 a.m. Saturday. The opening time for Saturday could change, however, depending on weather conditions.
- Park Circle Cares - Park Circle Cares has canceled their Mass Food Distribution scheduled for Saturday at North Charleston High School.
- The South Carolina Aquarium - The South Carolina Aquarium will close at 2 p.m. on Friday and will delay opening on Saturday until noon. Anyone with tickets scheduled for times after 12:30 p.m. Friday or before noon on Saturday can call 843-577-FISH or email firstname.lastname@example.org with their full name and ticket order number to reschedule their tickets.
Reporting Power Outages or Downed Lines
- Berkeley Electric Cooperative - Customers can call their automated outage reporting system, 24 hours a day at 1-888-253-4232.
- Dominion Energy - Customers can report downed or sparking lines by calling 888-333-4465.
- Santee Cooper - Residential and commercial customers can report outages at stormcenter.santeecooper.com or by calling 888-769-7688.
Warming shelters to open Friday
The following warming centers will open on Friday:
- Aldersgate UMC Warming Shelter is located at 1444 Remount Rd. in North Charleston. Admission hours are from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., and the center will close at 7 a.m. the next morning. Both dinner and breakfast will be served. The shelter has a capacity of 75 and is open to men, women and children (no pets). Because of current COVID-19 safety precautions, anyone feeling sick or exhibiting flu-like symptoms may not be admitted. Any site-specific questions can be directed to the Aldersgate office at 843-744-0283.
- Seacoast West Ashley Warming Center is located at 2049 Savannah Hwy. in West Ashley. The entrance to the warming center is through the back of the building. Admission hours are from 7 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., and the center will close at 7 a.m. the next morning. Dinner and a to-go breakfast/lunch will be served. The shelter has a capacity of 35 and will take in men, women and children (no pets). Because of current COVID-19 safety precautions, anyone feeling sick or exhibiting flu-like symptoms may not be admitted. Any site-specific questions can be directed to the Seacoast office at 843-375-1085.
- Hibben UMC Warming Shelter is located at 690 Coleman Blvd. in Mount Pleasant. Admission hours are from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., and the center will close at 7 a.m. the next morning. A dinner and a to-go breakfast/lunch will be served. The shelter has a capacity of 20 and will take in men, women and children (no pets). Because of current COVID-19 safety precautions, anyone feeling sick or exhibiting flu-like symptoms may not be admitted. Any site-specific questions can be directed to the Hibben office at 843-884-9761.
Copyright 2022 WCSC. All rights reserved.