The Citadel pulls off walk-off win over South Carolina
CHARLESTON, S.C. – The Citadel’s Crosby Jones delivered a walk-off single in the bottom of the ninth inning to give the Bulldogs a 4-3 victory over South Carolina Tuesday night inside Joseph P. Riley, Jr. Park.
Score: The Citadel 4, South Carolina 3
Records: The Citadel (14-6), South Carolina (10-10)
Location: Joseph P. Riley, Jr. Park (Charleston, South Carolina)
Series: SC leads 139-50-1
How it Happened
· The Gamecocks got on the board in the first inning as Braylen Wimmer singled with two outs and came in to score on a single from Carson Hornung.
· The Bulldogs answered back in the home-half of the inning as Dylan Costa ripped a double off the top of the wall in right. After going to third on a sacrifice bunt, Costa raced home on a wild pitch.
· Carolina regained the lead in the second on a solo homer from Colin Burgess.
· The Gamecocks added a run in the sixth inning on a passed ball on a strikeout.
· The Citadel got the run back in the bottom of the inning after Ryan McCarthy hit a solo homer over the scoreboard in right center.
· The Bulldogs started the ninth inning with back-to-back walks to Cole Simpson and McCarthy. After a balk advanced both runners, Noah Mitchell tied the game with a base hit to right.
· After an intentional walk loaded the bases, Crosby Jones got a curveball and drove in through the right side for the walk-off single.
Inside the Box Score
· The walk-off single from Crosby Jones was the second walk-off win for the Bulldogs this season. Sawyer Reeves beat Villanova with a single in the ninth on Feb. 25.
· Ryan McCarthy finished 2-for-3 with a solo home run over the scoreboard in right center.
· Pitching was the difference as the Bulldogs allowed just two earned runs on seven hits and seven strikeouts.
· Jordan Beatson started and allowed two runs and struck out three over 3.0 innings.
· George Derrick Floyd did not allow a run in 2.0 innings.
· Devin Beckley struck out two in his inning of work, while Chace Cooper allowed just one hit in a scoreless frame.
· Simon Graf and Tyler Dun (1-0) each faced the minimum in their inning of work. For Dunn, it was his first win as a Bulldog.
· Michael Braswell (1-1) took the loss after giving up two runs on two hits and three walks without retiring a batter.
The Bulldogs welcome George Mason to Riley Park for a three-game series March 25-27. First pitch for the series opener is set for 5 p.m.
Copyright 2022 WCSC. All rights reserved.