THE LIST: Weather-related cancellations, schedule changes
CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCSC) - The threat of strong to severe storms Tuesday afternoon have prompted school districts and organizations to alter their schedules.
The Lowcountry was expected to see the storms, some of which could be strong to severe, between 4 p.m. and 9 p.m., Live 5 Meteorologist Chris Holtzman said.
CLICK HERE to download the free Live 5 First Alert Weather app.
School districts began notifying parents Monday night about weather-related cancellations and early dismissals Tuesday. Some organizations have also changed their schedules because of the possibility of stormy weather.
Here is the latest list:
SCHOOLS & COLLEGES
- BEAUFORT COUNTY SCHOOLS - Beaufort County schools dismissed early Tuesday, with elementary schools dismissing at 1:45 p.m., and the district’s middle, high and K-8 schools dismissing at 2:45 p.m.
- BERKELEY COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT - In a message to parents, Berkeley County Schools said all district athletics, after-school activities and after-school care programs are canceled on Tuesday.
- CHARLESTON COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT - The Charleston County School District announced all after-school activities and programs, including Kaleidoscope, would be canceled Tuesday.
- COLLETON COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT - The Colleton County School District says they will dismiss early “out of an abundance of caution” and all after-school activities have been canceled. The district said the Black Street Early Childhood Center would dismiss at 10:40 a.m., elementary schools at 11 a.m., Colleton County Middle School at noon and Colleton County High School at 12:15 p.m. on Tuesday.
- DORCHESTER COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT 2 - Dorchester School District Two announced it would follow normal school hours, but all afternoon and evening activities and extended day have been canceled.
- DORCHESTER COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT 4 - Dorchester District Four announced early Tuesday morning that schools in the district would dismiss at noon on Tuesday. The district has also canceled all after-school activities.
- ORANGEBURG-CALHOUN TECHNICAL COLLEGE - Orangeburg-Calhoun Technical College announced Tuesday morning that classes would be canceled beginning at 12:30 p.m. The school closed at 1 p.m. but was expecting to resume its normal operating schedule on Wednesday.
- ORANGEBURG COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT - The Orangeburg County School District said it would dismiss early Tuesday and all after-school activities will be canceled. The district said K-5th grade schools will dismiss at 11 a.m., middle schools, K-12th grade schools, middle high schools and stand-alone high schools will dismiss at 11:45 a.m., with the exception of Orangeburg-Wilkinson High School, which will dismiss at 12:30 p.m.
- SOUTH CAROLINA STATE UNIVERSITY - South Carolina State University announced classes would be canceled and nonessential employees would be dismissed at 2 p.m. Tuesday. The dining hall and and The Pitt will close at 4:30 p.m. and maintenance crews will place sandbags at potentially vulnerable locations.
- TRIDENT TECHNICAL COLLEGE - Trident Technical College says campuses and sites will close at 3 p.m. Tuesday with classes and services moving to a virtual format. The college says online and scheduled online meeting classes will proceed as scheduled and is asking students with in-person classes that meet after 3 p.m. to check D2L for instructions.
GOVERNMENT OFFICES AND ORGANIZATIONS
- BEAUFORT COUNTY GOVERNMENT OFFICES - Beaufort County offices closed at 1 p.m. All County Convenience Centers closed at 2 p.m. Emergency and essential personnel will remain available.
- CHARLESTON COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY - All Charleston County Public Library branches and offices will close at 4 p.m. All book drops and material returns will remain open at this time.
Check back for updates to this list.
Copyright 2022 WCSC. All rights reserved.