The Citadel drops game 2 at Mercer
MACON, Ga. – The Citadel left fielder Cole Simpson homered to left field to lead off the fourth inning in The Citadel’s 4-1 setback at Mercer Saturday afternoon inside OrthoGeorgia Park.
Score: Mercer 4, The Citadel 1
Records: The Citadel (17-12, 0-2), Mercer (26-5, 2-0)
Location: OrthoGeorgia Park (Macon, Georgia)
Series: Mercer leads 2-0
How it Happened
- The Bears got on the board in the second inning as Trevor Austin singled to left to score a runner from second.
- The Bulldogs tied the game in the fourth inning on a leadoff homer off the bat of Cole Simpson.
- MU answered back in the bottom of the inning to take the lead on a bloop single to right, then scored a second run when a runner was thrown out attempting to steal second.
- The Bears added a run in the seventh on a solo homer from Colby Thomas.
Inside the Box Score
- Fisher Paulsen (3-2) put together a strong start, allowing just three runs on seven hits and four strikeouts over 5.0 innings.
- Devin Beckley pitched the final 3.0 innings, allowing one run and striking out five.
- Ryan Lobus (5-1) picked up the victory after allowing one run on five hits and seven strikeouts over 5.0 innings.
- Tilo Skole led the offense with a pair of base hits.
- The Citadel collected eight hits, with four going for extra bases. They got hits from seven of the nine hitters in the lineup.
The teams close out the three-game series Sunday at 1 p.m.
Copyright 2022 WCSC. All rights reserved.