Western Carolina 8, The Citadel 1
CHARLESTON, S.C. – Ryan McCarthy hit his team-leading seventh home run of the season as The Citadel fell 8-1 to Western Carolina Saturday afternoon inside Joseph P. Riley, Jr. Park.
Score: Western Carolina 8, The Citadel 1
Records: Western Carolina (18-20, 3-5), The Citadel (20-18, 1-7)
Location: Joseph P. Riley, Jr. Park (Charleston, South Carolina)
Series: WCU leads 2-0
How it Happened
· The Catamounts got on the board in the fourth inning on a solo homer from Pascanel Ferreras.
· WCU added two more runs in the sixth on a wild pitch and a solo homer from Nate Stocum.
· The Catamounts scored two unearned runs in the eighth after an error allowed a run to score, and Bryson Parks followed with a RBI double to left.
· The Bulldogs got on the board in the bottom of the eighth on a Ryan McCarthy solo homer to right center.
· WCU pushed across three more runs in the ninth on a homer from Immanuel Wilder.
Inside the Box Score
· Ryan McCarthy hit his team-leading seventh home run of the season.
· Wells Sykes was the only Bulldog with a multi-hit game, going 2-for-4.
· Sykes has now hit safely in all five games he played this season.
· Cameron Reeves (2-5) suffered the loss after giving up three runs on four hits and seven strikeouts over 5.2 innings.
· George Derrick Floyd continued his strong week as he retired all four hitters he faced.
· Gavin Mortenson (3-5) picked up the win after allowing just two hits and striking out seven over 7.0 shutout innings.
· The Bulldogs had chances to score early as they loaded the bases with no outs in the fourth inning, but were unable to score.
The teams close out the three-game series Sunday at 1 p.m.
Copyright 2022 WCSC. All rights reserved.