UNCG 6, The Citadel 3
CHARLESTON, S.C. – The Citadel jumped out to an early lead, but UNCG rallied back to defeat the Bulldogs 6-3 Friday night inside Joseph P. Riley, Jr. Park.
Score: UNCG 6, The Citadel 3
Records: UNCG (18-24, 3-7 SoCon), The Citadel (22-19, 2-8 SoCon)
Location: Joseph P. Riley, Jr. Park (Charleston, South Carolina)
Series: UNCG leads 1-0
How it Happened
· The Bulldogs wasted little time in getting the bats going as Dylan Costa, Tilo Skole and Ryan McCarthy singled to load the bases. Noah Mitchell drew a bases-loaded walk before Travis Lott hit the next pitch into left center for a two-run single.
· UNCG got back into the game in the fourth after a throwing error on a bunt single allowed a run to score before a bases-loaded walk to Ethan McKay scored a second run.
· The Spartans tied the game in the fifth inning on a two-out RBI single up the middle from Mitchell Smith.
· UNCG took the lead in the seventh inning as Greg Hardison delivered a sacrifice fly to left and Smith followed with a RBI double to right.
· The Spartans added an insurance run in the ninth on a RBI single from Press Cavanaugh.
Inside the Box Score
· The Bulldogs sent all nine hitters to the plate in the first inning, scoring three runs.
· Ryan McCarthy went 2-for-4 with a run scored.
· Travis Lott finished 2-for-4 with a double and two RBIs.
· Tilo Skole had a bunt single and scored a run. It was his sixth bunt hit of the season.
· Jordan Beatson (2-4) took the loss after allowing three runs on five hits over 3.0 innings.
· Alex Hoppe (6-2) picked up the win after striking out four over 3.2 shutout innings.
The teams play the middle game of the three-game series Saturday at 2 p.m.
Copyright 2022 WCSC. All rights reserved.