Cougars power past Bucs, 10-6
CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCSC) - Tyler Sorrentino, Joseph Mershon and JT Marr each homered and Ty Good spun four no-hit innings to lead College of Charleston to a 10-6 victory over Lowcountry foe Charleston Southern on Saturday afternoon at Nielsen Field.
Final Score: College of Charleston 10, Charleston Southern 6
Location: Charleston, S.C. (Nielsen Field)
Records: Charleston (33-15), Coastal Carolina (18-27)
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Charleston wasted little time getting on the board scoring the game’s first run in the second at-bat of the contest after Sorrentino led off the first with a double and scored on a single by Sam Cochrane.
- The lead would double to 2-0 in the third when Sorrentino scored his second run of the game on an infield single by Landon Choboy.
- Mershon launched the first of Charleston’s three home runs with one out in the sixth sending a two-run shot out to right center to extend the margin to 4-0.
- Sorrentino would follow four batters later with the hit of the day mashing the 1-0 pitch to straightaway center field for a one-out grand slam that put Charleston ahead, 8-0.
- Charleston Southern answered in the home half sending 11 men to the plate and scoring six runs on eight hits to pull within two at 8-6.
- The Cougars’ bullpen would shut the door from there with Cole Mathis and William Privette combining for seven strikeouts in three perfect innings to hold Charleston Southern at six.
- Marr added a pair of insurance runs with a mammoth two-run blast to right in the ninth to put Charleston in front, 10-6.
- Sorrentino reached and scored three times, and marked his first collegiate home run with a grand slam to straightaway center field in the sixth.
- Marr finished the day 2-for-5 with a single, two runs scored and a two-run homer – his team-leading seventh of the season.
- Mershon smashed his fourth homer of the campaign to extend his reached base streak to 14 games.
- Good held Charleston Southern without a hit and struck out five in four innings to earn his team-leading ninth win of the season.
- Mathis worked a 1-2-3 seventh with a pair of strikeouts.
- Privette fanned five in two perfect frames to collect his 12th save of the season which is tied for fifth on the program’s single-season list.
FOR THE NOTEBOOK:
- The victory extends Charleston’s win streak to four games and marks the Cougars’ 17th victory in their last 19 games.
- With his two-hit day on Saturday, Sorrentino now has seven multi-hit efforts in the last eight games.
- Saturday’s game marked the Cougars’ 11th multi-homer outburst and the 11th time Charleston has reached double digits this season.
The Cougars and Bucs will meet in the series finale on Sunday afternoon at Patriots Point. First pitch is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. following the conclusion of Charleston’s Senior Day celebrations which are slated to begin at 12:45 p.m.
Copyright 2022 WCSC. All rights reserved.