Power back on in Awendaw area after transformer catches on fire

Officials say a Summerville firefighter died after suffering a medical emergency Monday.
The Awendaw-McClellanville Fire District is currently investigating the fire at the 6400 block of Sewee Rd.(Live 5)
Published: Sep. 10, 2022 at 9:44 PM EDT|Updated: Sep. 11, 2022 at 1:44 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCSC) - Power has been restored after crews worked to put out a transformer fire that had knocked out power in the greater Awendaw area Saturday

The Awendaw-McClellanville Fire District investigated the fire at the 6400 block of Sewee Rd.

The district says the Berkeley Electric Cooperative was notified of the situation.

There is no official word yet on what led to the transformer catching on fire.

As of 10:15 p.m., the Berkeley Electric Cooperative’s outage maps showed 837 customers were without power. The estimated restore time was 11:32 p.m.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.