SANDBAGS: These municipalities are offering sandbags for residents
CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCSC) - Three Charleston County municipalities plan to distribute sandbags to residents Wednesday to help them prepare for the effects of Ian.
The city of Charleston will distribute sandbags while supplies last on Wednesday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. for residents of the city. On Wednesday, the city announced they will distribute sandbags on Thursday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Residents should bring their own shovels to build their sandbags. Staff will be on-site to assist as needed.
The self-serve sandbag pickup locations are:
- Bee’s Landing Recreation Center, 1580 Ashley Garden Blvd. in West Ashley
- Hampton Park parking lot on the corner of Ashley Avenue and Mary Murray Drive on the peninsula
- Seven Farms Drive behind Governor’s Park Dog Park, Under I-526 on Daniel Island
- Grace Bridge Street parking lot between America and East Bay streets on the peninsula
- James Island Town Hall, 1122 Dills Bluff Rd., on James Island.
City officials say there is a limit of 10 sandbags per home.
Charleston leaders say those needing additional sandbags should contact a home hardware store.
The City of Folly Beach will offer up to 10 sandbags for residents at two locations on Wednesday.
Sandbags will be available starting at 9 a.m. at the Public Safety building.
A load of sand is scheduled to be delivered to the boat landing and residents should be able to start filling sandbags there starting at 1 p.m. Wednesday.
The city of North Charleston will be offered while supplies last on Wednesday from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. at the following locations:
- Gussie Greene Community Center – 2008 Success Street
- North Charleston Athletic Center – 5600 Casper Padgett Way
- North Charleston Aquatics Center – 8610 Patriot Boulevard
Proof of North Charleston residency must be provided. The sandbags are for residents only, not businesses.
City staff will provide up to six filled sandbags per resident, city spokesman Ryan Johnson said.
The town of Mount Pleasant is offering sandbags Wednesday beginning at 10 a.m. until supplies last. The town is limiting sandbags to 10 per residence.
- Memorial Waterfront Park, 71 Harry Hallman Blvd.
- R.L. Jones Center, 391 Egypt Road
- Park West Recreation Complex, 1251 Park West Blvd.
Sandbags are available in the town of James Island from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday. Residents are asked to bring their own shovels limited to 10 bags.
- James Island Town Hall, 1122 Dills Bluff Road
The Berkeley County government announced locations for residents to pick up sandbags. The county says sandbags are available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Hanahan - Railroad Avenue in front of field #1 behind Trident Tech. Shovels are available.
- Moncks Corner - First Street near the railroad tracks. Behind the fire station headquarters. Bring your own shovel.
- Goose Creek - Fire department headquarters, 201 Button Hall Avenue
- Cross - Cross Rural Fire Department Station #1, 1007 Shortcut Road and Station #3, 1980 Old Highway 6
Officials in Dorchester County announced sandbag locations will be open Thursday from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sandbags are limited to 10 per resident and residents need to bring their own shovel.
- Ridgeville Town Hall, 105 School St., Ridgeville, SC 29472
- Harleyville Town Hall, 122 W Main St., Harleyville, SC 29448
- County Court House, 5200 E Jim Bilton Blvd. St., George, SC 29477
- Gahagan Park, 184 W. Boundary St., Summerville, SC 29485
- Old Bi-lo Parking Lot, (By Summerville High School) 1452 Boone Hill Rd., Summerville, SC 29483
- Wescott Park, 9006 Dorchester Rd., North Charleston, SC 29420
- Oakbrook Middle School, 286 Old Fort Dr., Ladson, SC 29456
Officials in Colleton County say sandbag operations in the county will begin Wednesday at 10 a.m. until 5 p.m., sandbags will be available again on Thursday 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Officials say residents will be responsible for filling and loading their sandbags.
- Colleton County Fire-Rescue headquarters, 113 Mable T. Willis Blvd., Walterboro
Copyright 2022 WCSC. All rights reserved.