CLOSINGS & CANCELLATIONS: Schools, government offices, attractions, hospitals announce plans
CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCSC) - School districts, businesses and community events announced closings, cancellations and postponements as Ian made landfall in the Palmetto State.
Here is a list of schedule changes announced so far. Check back for updates as additional changes are announced.
Schools & Colleges
- BEAUFORT COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT: Beaufort County schools will have remote eLearning Friday. The district’s buildings will be closed.
- BERKELEY COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT: Friday will be an eLearning day for students. The district says all schools and offices will be closed Friday. All before and after school activities, including after-school care programs and athletics are canceled for Friday.
- CHARLESTON CATHOLIC SCHOOL: The school will have remote learning on Friday.
- CHARLESTON COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT: Charleston County Schools will be closed Friday, but students will have an eLearning day.
- CHARLESTON COSMETOLOGY INSTITUTE: Classes will be canceled on Friday and Saturday.
- CLAFLIN UNIVERSITY: Friday classes will be held virtually.
- COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON: The school will resume normal operations on Saturday.
- COLLETON COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT: The Colleton County School District will transition to an eLearning day Friday. School buildings and administrative offices will be closed Friday.
- CHARLESTON SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY: The college will be virtual on Friday.
- DORCHESTER DISTRICT TWO: The district says they will use an eLearning day Friday. Dorchester District Two schools and district buildings will be closed and all after-school activities canceled Friday.
- DORCHESTER DISTRICT FOUR: Dorchester District Four will have eLearning days for students on Friday. All schools will be closed Friday and all after-school, band and athletic programs are canceled Friday.
- FIRST BAPTIST SCHOOL OF CHARLESTON: The private school’s downtown Charleston and James Island campuses will be closed on Friday. All afterschool activities and athletics are canceled through Saturday.
- GEORGETOWN COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT: Students in the Georgetown County School District will have an eLearning day on Friday. All after-school activities, programs and athletics are canceled for Friday and Saturday. The district says they anticipate a return to normal operations on Monday.
- JASPER COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT: Schools in Jasper County will be closed Friday. During school closures, all after-school activities are canceled.
- LEARN4LIFE HIGH SCHOOL: The North Charleston school is holding a regular at-home learning schedule Friday.
- PALMETTO CHRISTIAN ACADEMY: The academy will be closed on Friday, according to spokesperson Darla Rourk.
- PINEWOOD PREPARATORY SCHOOL: Pinewood Prep will be closed Friday.
- SOUTH CAROLINA STATE UNIVERSITY: The college will cancel Friday classes.
- THE CITADEL: In-person classes are canceled for the college on Friday. The classes will be held online asynchronously.
- TRIDENT TECH: All Trident Technical College virtual classes/services are suspended. The college will remain closed until Monday.
- WILLIAMSBURG COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT: All after-school and extra-curricular activities are canceled for Friday. Students will have an eLearning day on Friday, the district says.
Government, Agencies & Hospitals
- BEAUFORT COUNTY AIRPORTS: Beaufort Executive Airport and Hilton Head Island Airport are closed Friday because of increasing wind speeds. As of now, the airports are scheduled to reopen on Saturday at 10 a.m.
- BEAUFORT COUNTY CONVENIENCE CENTERS: Convenience centers in Beaufort County will be closed Friday. As of now, officials say centers that normally operate on Saturday should reopen.
- BEAUFORT COUNTY VOTER REGISTRATION: The county’s board of voter registration and elections office will be closed on Friday.
- BEAUFORT-JASPER-HAMPTON COMPREHENSIVE HEALTH SERVICES: The offices in Beaufort, Jasper and Hampton counties will be closed Friday. Weather permitting, they will reopen on Monday at 8:30 a.m.
- BERKELEY COUNTY GOVERNMENT: All government offices will be closed on Friday. This includes the Berkeley County Administration Building, Water & Sanitation building, Courthouse, Landfill & Convenience Centers, Berkeley Animal Center, Cypress Gardens, and all Berkeley County Library System branches. There will be one Magistrate Court session at the Courthouse Friday at 8 a.m. The court will resume its normal schedule at 8 a.m. on Saturday.
- CHARLESTON CENTER: All outpatient services are canceled Friday. Residential and Withdrawal Management will not take any new admissions during the time but will be open. All services are set to return to normal operations on Monday.
- CHARLESTON COUNTY GOVERNMENT: All county government offices, including the downtown Judicial Complex, will be closed on Friday.
- CHARLESTON COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARIES: The Charleston County Public Library is closing all its branches and offices Friday. Book drops and automated material returns will also be closed. The reopening of the county’s library on Dorchester Road, scheduled for Monday, will be pushed back to a later date.
- CHARLESTON COUNTY PARKS: All county parks and facilities will close Friday. Parks are set to reopen on Saturday. The campground at James Island County Park will remain open to registered guests only.
- CHARLESTON COUNTY RECYCLING: The Bees Ferry Landfill will close through Friday and Saturday. The landfill will reopen Monday. All staffed Charleston County Convenience Centers will resume operations on Monday. Also, no curbside recycling operations will take place on Friday or Saturday.
- CHARLESTON DORCHESTER MENTAL HEALTH CLINICS: Charleston Dorchester Mental Health Clinics in both Charleston County (2100 Charlie Hall Blvd.) and Dorchester County (106 Springview Lane in Summerville) will be closed Thursday and Friday with plans to reopen on Monday. For emergencies, please call 843-414-2350.
- CHARLESTON FIRE DEPARTMENT: Additional units will be placed in service to assist with the potential impact of the storm. In addition to preparing for the storm, the department we will be staffing two high water vehicles to assist with water rescues and two utility vehicles to clear small trees and debris in order to assist with response.
- CHARLESTON INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT: The airport will remain close until 6 a.m. Saturday.
- CHARLESTON POLICE DEPARTMENT: The department has determined alternate staffing to ensure the maximum amount of personnel is on duty throughout the storm. Officers continue to position barricades in low-lying areas. Officers will be directing traffic until conditions worsen.
- CHARLESTON SOCIAL SECURITY OFFICE: Charleston’s social security office, located on Tobias Gadson Boulevard, will be closed Friday. People can still contact the Charleston office by calling 866-495-0111.
- CITY OF CHARLESTON: City of Charleston offices will be closed on Friday.
- CITY OF CHARLESTON RECREATION: All recreation programs and activities will be canceled through Friday.
- CITY OF CHARLESTON DEPARTMENT OF LIVABILITY AND TOURISM: Livability officers will be patrolling their assigned areas identifying and removing potential obstructions away from storm drains and removing garbage cans from the streets on Friday. Carriage tour operations are currently scheduled to reopen on Saturday.
- CITY OF CHARLESTON TRASH COLLECTION: Commercial garbage will be collected on Friday.
- CITY OF GEORGETOWN: All city offices will be closed Friday.
- COLLETON COUNTY ANIMAL CONTROL: Animal control will only be available for emergencies. The county says to call the sheriff’s office non-emergency number: 843-549-2211, and officers will respond when it is safe.
- COLLETON COUNTY GOVERNMENT: Government offices in the county will be closed till 8 a.m. on Monday. That applies to all offices except “essential personnel.” Anyone who needs to visit the treasurer’s office, auditor’s office or the delinquent tax office on Monday will need to go to the county’s new location at 118 Benson St.
- COLLETON COUNTY LANDFILLS: Solid Waste Landfill and convenience site closures have not yet been determined for Saturday and Sunday.
- DORCHESTER COUNTY ANIMAL CONTROL: Animal control is unable to respond to calls except for animal emergencies as Dorchester Paw’s Pet Support Service Department (intake office) is closed through Saturday.
- DORCHESTER COUNTY CAREER AND TECHNOLOGY CENTER: The center will be closed on Friday.
- DORCHESTER COUNTY CONVENIENCE SITES: Convenience sites will be closed on Friday, but are planning to reopen on Saturday. However, the Miles Jamison Road Yard Debris Convenience Site and the Sandy Pines Yard Debris Convenience Site plan to be open on Sunday.
- DORCHESTER COUNTY GOVERNMENT: All Dorchester County administrative offices and courts will be closed on Friday.
- DORCHESTER COUNTY PARKS: All county parks will be closed on Friday. Staff will assess when to reopen after the storm has passed.
- DORCHESTER COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARIES: All public county libraries will remain closed through Friday.
- DORCHESTER COUNTY SENIOR CENTERS: The Faith Sellers Senior Center and the David Sojourner Senior Center will be closed on Friday.
- DORCHESTER COUNTY YMCA: The county’s YMCA will be closed on Friday.
- EDISTO BEACH: Besides essential personnel, the Town of Edisto Beach will close its offices on Friday.
- GEORGETOWN COUNTY GOVERNMENT: All county offices, facilities and courts will be closed Friday. The auditor’s office will continue to accept high mileage appeals for vehicle taxes due Friday on Monday. Additionally, the treasurer’s office will delay any penalties on real estate taxes that would have gone into effect Friday. Taxes due Friday may be paid Monday, without additional penalties.
- LINCOLNVILLE TOWN GOVERNMENT: Lincolnville offices are closed Friday and are scheduled to reopen on Monday.
- LOWCOUNTRY FOOD BANK: The food bank will be closed on Friday. Partner agency appointments for Friday must be rescheduled. All food distributions on Friday and Saturday are canceled and will be rescheduled.
- MUSC: The Charleston hospital division adopted emergency operations on Thursday, and is operating under shelter-in-place status until further notice. Visitation is now limited to one visitor per patient for adult patients and two visitors for pediatric patients. All outpatient clinics (including dental clinics operated by the university) are closed on Friday.
- NORTH CHARLESTON GOVERNMENT: City offices in North Charleston are closed Friday. Emergency Management personnel urge residents to prepare for the impacts of Tropical Storm Ian. North Charleston’s citizen information line can be reached at 843-740-5883 or 843-740-5887. For garbage collection: Charleston County residents’ roll carts and yard debris will not be collected Friday; Dorchester County residents’ roll carts and yard debris will be collected through Friday as weather permits. Recycling in the Dorchester County portions of the city will not be collected Friday.
- ROPER ST. FRANCIS: Roper St. Francis emergency departments will remain open during the storm. Roper St. Francis Express Cares will reopen on Saturday. Virtual care will remain available around the clock.
- TRIDENT MEDICAL CENTER: The ERs at Trident Medical Center, Summerville Medical Center, Brighton Park Emergency, Centre Pointe Emergency and Moncks Corner Medical Center will remain open for medical emergencies. Outpatient offices at Trident Medical Center and Summerville Medical Center will be closed Friday. Trident Health’s physician practices will also be closed Friday. Trident Medical Center will pause visitation from now until 8 a.m. Sunday. There will be compassionate care exceptions. Summerville Medical Center’s visitation hours remain in place.
- WALTERBORO: The City of Walterboro offices will close on Friday. There will be no sanitation collection on Friday.
Events & Attractions
- BLACK BIZ ON THE BLOCK: The event, which was scheduled from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. at Philip Simmons Park, has been rescheduled to Oct. 22.
- BOONE HALL PLANTATION: Boone Hall Fright Nights will not be open this Friday or Saturday as originally scheduled. The Boone Hall Pumpkin Patch will not be open this Friday or Saturday. All tickets purchased for these events will be valid for any other day or night these events are open during the 2022 season. Plantation tours will be closed Friday and they plan to reopen at 1 p.m. on Saturday. The Boone Hall Farms Roadside Market will be open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday for a pre-storm clearance sale with select produce 50% off. The roadside market will then be closed until Monday.
- CHARLESTON FARMERS MARKET: The market, scheduled for Friday, has been canceled.
- CHARLESTON SYMPHONY MASTERWORKS: The Charleston Symphony Masterworks season opener at the Gaillard Center has been rescheduled. Friday night’s performance will now be on Sunday at 4 p.m., and Saturday night’s performance will take place Monday at 7:30 p.m.
- COFFEE WITH THE MAYOR: Charleston Mayor John Tecklenburg’s “Coffee with the Mayor” event, scheduled for Thursday from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. at Local Works has been canceled.
- COOPER RIVER BRIDGE RUN KIDS RUN: The children’s version of the Cooper River Bridge Run, which was scheduled from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Sunday, is being rescheduled.
- CYPRESS GARDENS: Berkeley County’s Cypress Gardens closed on Friday.
- GIBBES MUSEUM OF ART: The museum closed on Friday.
- GRIND FOR LIFE: The skateboarding competition at SK8 Charleston is rescheduled for Saturday, Oct. 8.
- ISLE OF PALMS CONNECTOR RUN: The event, scheduled for Saturday, has been canceled. A virtual event has been created. More information here.
- LOWCOUNTRY TRAIL HALF MARATHON & 5K RUN/WALK: The event at Johns Island County Park is canceled and will not be rescheduled.
- MOJA: The MOJA Festival’s opening parade scheduled for Thursday has been canceled. The visual arts reception, scheduled from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday at City Gallery will be rescheduled. The MOJA Reggae Block Dance, scheduled for Friday at 6 p.m. at Brittlebank Park is canceled.
- OPERATION NEIGHBORHOOD: The event, scheduled for Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. at Hampstead Square Park at Columbus and America Streets, is rescheduled to a later date.
- PATRIOTS POINT: The Patriots Naval and Maritime Museum will close on Thursday, and reopen “when the coast is clear and it is safe to resume normal operations.” All scheduled events are suspended until the storm passes.
- SOUTH CAROLINA AQUARIUM: The South Carolina Aquarium will be closed Friday. The aquarium is expected to reopen Saturday.
- WEST ASHLEY FARMERS MARKET: The event, scheduled for Wednesday, has been canceled.
- YAPPY HOUR: The event at James Island County Park is canceled and will not be rescheduled.
The chain grocery store Publix has announced that multiple locations in the Lowcountry will be closed on Friday and will reopen on Saturday.
The locations that will be closed on Friday are listed below:
Charleston,/ N. Charleston
- Riverland Market, 1411 Folly Rd., Charleston
- Ashley Landing Mall, 1401 Sam Rittenberg Blvd., Charleston
- Merchants Village, 520 Folly Rd., Charleston
- 10 Westedge, 10 Westedge St., Charleston
- Point Hope Commons, 730 Hopewell Dr. , Charleston
- Daniel Island Town Center, 162 Seven Farms Dr., Charleston
- Palmetto Pavillion, 8409 Dorchester Rd., N. Charleston
- Oakbrook Shopping Center, 1575 Old Trolley Rd., Summerville
- Paradise Shoppes of Summerville, 1585 Central Ave., Summerville
- The Market at Cane Bay, 1724 State Rd., Summerville
- Queensborough Shopping Center, 1000 Johnnie Dodds Blvd., Mount Pleasant
- Publix at North Point, 1435 Ben Sawyer Blvd., Mount Pleasant
- The Shoppes at Park West, 1125 Park West Blvd., Mount Pleasant
- Moncks Corner Marketplace, 2830 Hwy 52, Moncks Corner
- St. James Shopping Center, 208 Saint Jaimes Ave., Goose Creek
- West Ashley Place, 3642 Savannah Hwy, Johns Island
Copyright 2022 WCSC. All rights reserved.