FIRST ALERT: Flooding, downed trees closing roads around Lowcountry
CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCSC) - Hours after then Hurricane Ian left the Lowcountry, many roads are still closed because of flooding and debris.
Here is a list of closed roads as of 10:00 a.m. Saturday morning.
- 140 Queen Street.
- Betsy Road at Sanford Road.
- Congress Street at President Street.
- Fleming Road at Allen Brown Lane.
- Intersection of Hampton Avenue at Corona Street.
- Mary Murray Drive at 10th Avenue.
- Mary Murray Drive at President’s Street.
- North Rhett Avenue at Camden Street.
- Riverbluff Parkway at the entrance from Dorchester Rd.
- Signal Point Road near Folly Road
- Swan Avenue at Flamingo Drive.
- Wagner Avenue at Saint Margaret Street.
- West Ashley Circle at Bees Ferry Road.
- Wilshire Drive at Cecelia Drive.
- Several other streets in downtown Charleston are under a warning. A complete list of those roads can be found here.
A downed tree on Bohicket Road has been cleared.
The Isle of Palms Police Department says they are seeing standing water along multiple roads and are urging motorists to use caution if they must be on the roads.
Crews with the Awendaw-McClellanville Fire District responded to Pinckney Street and Liberty Street in McClellanville for a tree on a power line.
The Dorchester County Sheriff’s Office provided an update Friday afternoon on road conditions and challenges in the county:
- A tree is completely blocking the road on Franchise Street in North Charleston
- Orangeburg Road at 400 Orangeburg Road is currently closed because of a gas leak. Authorities say a tree fell on a gas container causing the leak.
- Traffic lights are out at Patriots and Ashley Phosphate.
- The 300 block of Beverly Drive in Summerville is closed from flooding
The Summerville Police Department is recommending motorists avoid the following roads because of standing water:
- Old Trolley Road at Dorchester Road
- Bacons Bridge Road at Creekside
- Central Avenue at Woodduck Drive
- Paradise Point at Bacons Bridge Road
- Boone Hill Road at Greenwave Boulevard
On top of that, the Town of Summerville is advising people to avoid these roads/areas:
- Jockey Court
- Arbor Oaks Drive and Chinquapin Drive
- 301 Holiday Dr, Avid Hotel
- N. Magnolia Street & E 5th N Street
- Pawley Drive
- Travelers Boulevard & Walden Ridge
- Congressional Boulevard & Castle Harbor Road
- Azalea Square
- 600 block of N Hickory St.
- W 1st North Street
- Thames Avenue
- 1925 Bacons Bridge Rd.
- Paradise Point & Bacons Bridge Road
- Boonehill Road & Greenwave Boulevard
Officials are reminding everyone to not drive around or through barricades.
Copyright 2022 WCSC. All rights reserved.