CofC falls to UNCW 9-3
CHARLESTON, S.C. - UNCW used five runs over the sixth and seventh innings to extend their lead and tie the series defeating the College of Charleston 9-3 Saturday afternoon.
Final Score: UNCW 9, Charleston 3
Location: Patriots Point
Records: Charleston (31-18, 16-10 CAA), UNCW (28-19, 17-7 CAA)
How It Happened
• UNCW scored their first two runs of the game on sacrifice flies from freshman Tanner Thach - one in the first and the second in the third for a 2-0 lead through three innings.
• A solo home run in the fourth made it 3-0 Seahawks before Charleston scratched across a run in the home half.
• UNCW scored three in the sixth to make it 6-1 on a pair of RBI singles. The Seahawks would make it 8-1 in the next frame bringing home two on another single.
• Trotter Harlan brought home Charleston’s second run on a fielder’s choice in the eighth and Cole Mathis singled home the final tally in the ninth to make it 9-3.
• Jared Kirven threw out two potential base stealers Saturday - one in the second and another in the seventh - tying his season-high mark. Kirven has thrown out 10 base runners this season and 30 in his career at the College.
• Kirven became the fourth Cougar catcher to throw out 30 base runners in a career joining Ereven Roper, Alex Garabedian and Danny Wondrack. Kirven also moved into third all-time in opponents’ stolen base percentage with his 2-for-2 day behind the plate.
• Cole Mathis finished the day 3-for-5 with an RBI and a run scored for his fifth three-hit game of the season. Mathis bumped his average to a team-high .331 and collected his team-best 43rd RBI.
• Trey Pooser struck out seven batters Saturday over 5.1 innings of work - the third time the Hanahan native has struck out seven this season. Pooser also set a new career-high of 56 strikeouts in a single season surpassing last season’s 51.
Charleston and UNCW meet in a rubber match Sunday as the College of Charleston will recognize their graduating seniors pregame. First pitch from Patriots Point is scheduled for 1 p.m.
Copyright 2023 WCSC. All rights reserved.