Urgent gathering to defeat poverty and protect the planet will convene world leaders, cultural leaders and business leaders on May 22-23 in New York City, and will coincide with the 2022 Global Citizen Prize hosted by Darren Criss
The inaugural summit will feature globally-renowned leaders from both the private and public sectors including Ursula von der Leyen, President of the European Commission; Chuck Robbins, Chair and Chief Executive Officer of Cisco; Mia Mottley, Prime Minister of Barbados; Nancy Pelosi, Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives; Erna Solberg, former Prime Minister of Norway; Marc Pritchard, Chief Brand Officer, P&G; Diego Scotti, Chief Marketing Officer, Verizon; Edward Skyler, Executive Vice President, Citi; Rob Light, Managing Partner and Head of Worldwide Music, Creative Arts Agency; Yvette Noel-Schure, CCO and Co-Founder, Schure Media Group and Head of Media for Parkwood Entertainment; and Tshepo Mahloele, Founder & Executive, Harith General Partners
Appearances will be made by artists, advocates, journalists and activists including Aloe Blacc, Bill Nye, Billy Porter, Connie Britton, Gayle King, Gloria Steinem, Jamala, Jay Shetty, Lynsey Addario, Pharrell Williams, Rachel Brosnahan, Sabrina Elba, Van Jones and more
NEW YORK, May 17, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- International advocacy organization Global Citizen is proud to announce its first thought leadership summit, Global Citizen NOW. Taking place over two transformative days, from May 22-23 in New York City, Global Citizen NOW will bring together over 200 leaders from across the private sector, advocacy, entertainment, government and philanthropy to drive actions toward defeating extreme poverty and defending the planet NOW.
In its inaugural year, attendees of Global Citizen NOW will include select dignitaries, philanthropists, artists, journalists and grassroots organizations from around the world. The summit's dynamic program features action-oriented keynotes, fireside conversations and panel discussions alongside first-person storytelling from those at the forefront of protecting the planet and ending extreme poverty NOW. The summit will feature sessions including:
- Opening session with Ursula von der Leyen, President of the European Commission, Chair & CEO of Cisco Chuck Robbins and Global Citizen's CEO Hugh Evans, moderated by Mika Brzezinski
- Women of Influence: The Power of Gender in Shaping Culture featuring Gloria Steinem, Pharrell Williams, and Arooj Aftab, moderated by Gayle King
- Defeat Poverty, Defend the Planet, Demand Equity featuring Rachel Brosnahan
- Art, Activism & Action featuring Billy Porter; Rob Light, Managing Partner and Head of Worldwide Music, Creative Artists Agency; Yvette Noel-Schure, CCO and Co-Founder, Schure Media Group and Head of Media for Parkwood Entertainment; and Ron Laffitte of Patriot Management; moderated by Scott Evans
- Rising Tide: In Conversation with Mia Mottley, Prime Minister of Barbados, moderated by Bill Nye
- Uniting the African Diaspora to Dismantle Inequity featuring Ayo Tometi and Aloe Blacc, moderated by Van Jones
- Speaker Nancy Pelosi in conversation with Connie Britton
- Unlocking the Power of Marginalized Groups featuring Former Under Secretary-General of the United Nations, Dr. Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka; Founder & Executive, Harith General Partners, Tshepo Mahloele; and Edward Skyler, Executive Vice President, Citi
- Demanding Equity in the Fight to Defeat Poverty featuring Chief Brand Officer, P&G Marc Pritchard, Prisca Bae, Eddie Ndopu and 'Yemi Adamolekun, moderated by Global Citizen's Chief Growth Officer Caralene Robinson
- Sessions with Stanley Kakubo, Foreign Minister of Zambia and Ibrahim Mohammed Awal, Minister of Tourism, Culture and Creative Arts of Ghana
- Fighting for Freedom: a conversation with Ukraine refugee and Eurovision 2016 winner Jamala
- Addressing the Global Food Crisis featuring Sabrina Elba with Former Prime Minister of Norway Erna Solberg and Ertharin Cousin, Former Executive Director of World Food Program
- Philosophy for a Planet in Peril featuring Jay Shetty in conversation with Scott Evans
- Technology, Education, Opportunity: 10 Years of Innovative Learning featuring Diego Scotti, Chief Marketing Officer, Verizon, moderated by Van Jones
- A Clean Energy, Bi-Partisan Future: a conversation with U.S. Senator Bill Cassidy with Jad Daley
- Web 3.0 New Frontiers for Social Impact featuring Alexandra Cavoulacos, Meta Angels; Dreamer, Defi Kingdoms; and Elizabeth Yi, Binance; moderated by Randall Lane, Chief Content Officer, Forbes
Hugh Evans, Co-Founder and CEO of Global Citizen said: "We find ourselves in a critical moment, both for humanity and for the planet, facing a confluence of social, geo-political, and environmental crises. Global Citizen NOW offers a dynamic alternative to existing thought leadership gatherings: we're convening world leaders, cultural leaders and business leaders this weekend in New York City to facilitate immediate and impactful change, and forge a path forward out of these crises, because the world simply cannot wait."
Mia Mottley, Prime Minister of Barbados said: "I am personally delighted to join Global Citizen and so many thought leaders and doers of good from Governments, the private sector, philanthropy, talent and civil society. Global Citizen Now is an opportunity, not only to discuss the pressing issues of our time such as eliminating poverty and stopping the climate crisis, but most importantly, to chart a course of urgent action. We can only shape the future we want if we talk, work and take action together – the time is now!"
Chuck Robbins, Chair and CEO of Cisco said: "It's critical that corporations, the public sector, and thought leaders come together to work toward ending extreme poverty. Cisco is proud to partner with Global Citizen and support their incredible work, which aligns closely to our purpose to power an inclusive future for all."
Global Citizen NOW will also host community advocates from around the world, including this year's Global Citizen Prize: Cisco Youth Leadership Award winner Nidhi Pant, a chemical engineer and co-founder of S4S Technologies from India, and Global Citizen 2022 Prize winners: Anuscheh Amir-Khalili, Activist & Social Entrepreneur, Flamingo e.V. (Germany); Barbie Izquierdo, Food Security Activist and Consultant (USA); Brianna Fruean, Climate Activist, Pacific Climate Warriors (Samoa), Khanyisile Motsa, Founder & Director, Berea-Hillbrow Home of Hope (South Africa); Mitzy Violeta Cortés Guzmán, Defender of the Earth, Futuros Indígenas Network (Mexico); Payzee Mahmod, Child Marriage Survivor & Campaigner, IKWRO - Women's Rights Organisation (United Kingdom); Yemi Adamolekun, Executive Director, Enough is Enough (EiE), (Nigeria).
Proud partners of the Global Citizen Prize 2022 include Cisco, Citi and P&G.
The pinnacle of the two-day event will be the return of the Global Citizen Prize awards dinner. The awards dinner will honor and celebrate these international activists who have shown exceptional commitment to achieving the United Nations' Global Goals across three categories in line with Global Citizen's campaign to End Extreme Poverty Now to Defend the Planet, Defeat Poverty, and Demand Equity.
The Global Citizen Prize ceremony will be hosted by Emmy award-winning actor and musician Darren Criss, who will also perform, and feature performances from Aloe Blacc and Ukrainian artist Jamala. The event will be streamed on YouTube and Twitter on June 2, 2022, at 12:00pm ET.
Global Citizen NOW will premiere on Global Citizen's YouTube channel on Wednesday, May 25.
Global Citizen NOW is supported by Cisco, Citi, Harith General Partners, P&G and Verizon. For more information about Global Citizen NOW visit www.globalcitizen.org and follow @GlblCtzn on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram using #GlobalCitizen.
ABOUT GLOBAL CITIZEN:
Global Citizen is the world's largest movement of action takers and impact makers dedicated to ending extreme poverty NOW. We post, tweet, message, vote, sign, and call to inspire those who can make things happen — government leaders, businesses, philanthropists, artists, and citizens — together improving lives. By downloading our app, Global Citizens learn about the systemic causes of extreme poverty, take action on those issues, and earn rewards, which can be redeemed for tickets to concerts, events, and experiences all over the world. For more information, visit www.globalcitizen.org and follow @GlblCtzn.
View original content to download multimedia:
SOURCE Global Citizen