Smoke alarm saves 2 in North Charleston

NORTH CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - A young woman and her baby were able to escape a kitchen fire Monday after the smoke alarm sounded.

The North Charleston Fire Department responded to a fire reported in the 1500 block of Greenbay Street on Monday afternoon. When fire crews arrived, they found the young woman and her baby outside the single-family residence.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the small kitchen fire which damaged the stove and cabinets above. There was smoke damage throughout the residence. Firefighters checked for any extension of the fire into the attic space.

Battalion Chief Russell Stanley said the woman was in the home cooking and when the smoke alarm sounded, she quickly escaped the home taking the infant with her.

The alarm, placed in the hallway outside the sleeping areas, was installed by the North Charleston Fire Department in April 2007. The Department's Get Alarmed program has been in place since 2006 and is credited with saving 23 lives in nine fires since its inception.

Copyright 2010 WCSC. All rights reserved.