Use Energy Wisely
Let SCE&G help you take control of your energy bills. To get you started, we've compiled a variety of tips to help you be more energy efficient. You'll be surprised at how much you can save just by making a few changes in how you live and work.
10 Ways to Save Energy this Spring & Summer:
- When it's not in use, turn it OFF! (lights, TV's, computers, etc.)
- The best setting for your thermostat is 78. Each degree lower than that can significantly increase your cooling costs, especially in older homes with less thermal efficiency.
- Programmable thermostats allow you to conveniently maintain the comfort of your home when you're there and reduce energy costs when you're not. Make sure to install a thermostat compatible with your HVAC system.
- Check home air filters monthly and change when dirty. Adequate air flow through a cooling system is critical to ensure efficient and comfortable operation.
- To protect your home from cooling loss; caulk, seal and weather-strip around all seams, cracks, and openings. Pay special attention around windows and exterior doors.
- Upgrade your attic insulation to a minimum of 12 inches (R-38). This can help you significantly save on your cooling costs.
- Use fans in place of or as a supplement to air conditioning. This will allow you to increase the thermostat setting and still be comfortable. Turn them off when leave the room.
- Keep window coverings closed on the east, west and south windows to keep the heat out.
- Set your water heater temperature at 120°F. Also, consider adding a water heater tank insulation wrap.
- Replace standard incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs (CFL's). They use up to 75% less energy.