NORTH CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - The City of North Charleston is in an ongoing legal battle with the state over rail lines on the Old Navy Base.
A new state ports terminal is under construction on the south end and Tuesday night, city officials will get a better idea of where it is headed. At 7 p.m., North Charleston leaders will explain it in detail during a presentation.
Earlier this year, North Charleston sued the state over the controversial rail plans. Mayor Keith Summey says the state's plan violates a 2002 memorandum of understanding between the city and the state ports authority.
Mayor Summey does not want rail lines coming from the northern part of the city because he wants to develop that area into a family-friendly residential community. The mayor says the memorandum of understanding protects the northern part. But state leaders say that may not be true.
The memorandum forbids cargo from being transported by rail across the northern end of the Old Naval Base. North Charleston says the state's plan does exactly that.