DANIEL ISLAND, SC (WCSC) - The Catholic Diocese of Charleston did not do a background check on Louis "Skip" ReVille before hiring him as the boy's tennis coach at Bishop England High School.
According to a statement released by the Diocese Wednesday, all employees and volunteers with regular access to youth to undergo a background screen and attend a safe environment training session. ReVille was not subjected to a background screen and did not attend a safe environment training session.
"The Diocese regrets this very much," the release states. "The Diocese is confident that all employees and volunteers at Bishop England High School are in compliance with the Diocese's policy in regards to background screening and safe environment training."
Law enforcement agencies in Mt. Pleasant, Hanahan and Summerville are conducting sex crimes investigations into ReVille. After a bond court hearing Wednesday on new charges in Mt. Pleasant, ReVille will face a total of 19 charges. Investigators say some of the victims may be victims in multiple jurisdictions.
The Diocese began background checks on employees who work with children in 2003. ReVille did not have a criminal record when he began working at Bishop England High School.
According to the release, the Diocese is unaware of any Bishop England student who has reported being abused by ReVille while he was the tennis coach at the school for the 2008 to 2010 seasons.
"The Bishop has requested to the Bishop England family and to the former members of the 2008, 2009 and 2010 tennis teams to make contact with law enforcement officials if they possess any information relevant to Mr. ReVille and the case, or to the existence of any additional victims," the release states.
- Hanahan police to charge ReVille in five cases
- Congressman seeks hearing on Citadel, Penn State sex abuse scandals
- Citadel releases transcripts of interview with alleged victim
- The Citadel on ReVille case: 'We're profoundly sorry'
- Sandusky interview surprises even Bob Costas
- Sandusky says he only 'horsed around' with kids
- Citadel: Campers watched porn in ReVille's dorm room in 2002
- Police deny asking The Citadel to withhold information in ReVille case
- New charges filed against ex-principal accused of sex crimes
- Mt. Pleasant principal, coach accused of sexually assaulting teens