Cops: Drug dealer behind bars after attacking police officers

Published: Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:30 PM EST|Updated: Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:42 PM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
Vincent Lamar Blaine
Vincent Lamar Blaine

CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - A suspected drug dealer is behind bars after police say he attacked two police officers and led them on a foot pursuit in downtown.

The Charleston Police Department charged 43-year-old Vincent Lamar Blaine with possession with intent to distribute heroin within close proximity of a school and two counts of assault on police while resisting.

On Friday afternoon, two police officers responded to the area of Ducs Court and Sheppard Street in reference to a subject involved in illegal drug activity.

Officers then spotted Blaine, who fit the description of the suspect, at the intersection of Nassau and Sheppard streets. Blaine told officers that he was cutting through the area and said he did not have anything illegal on him.

After Blaine gave consent to a search, officers say they found a small plastic bag with several smaller bags which contained a brown powdery substance which officers say tested positive for heroin.

A police report states as officers were placing Blaine under arrest, Blaine began to pull his arms away from officers. According to police, when officers told Blaine to place his hands behind his back, Blaine curled his arms into the front of his body.

Officers say Blaine then began to strike the arms and upper bodies of the officers as they attempted to handcuff him. At one point, authorities say Blaine broke free of the officers' grasp, tripped and fell to the ground.

Investigators say Blaine then quickly got up, continued to swing his arms and disregarded officers' commands to get on the ground.

According to police, an officer then used his taser, striking Blaine in the back. Officers say Blaine then ran through a number of yards on Nassau Street as several CPD units arrived to assist with a perimeter.

A police report states that during the pursuit, Blaine jumped several fences and utility sheds.

Police say Blaine surrendered to authorities in front of a home on Line Street.

Officers report Blaine refused to cooperate with EMS and was transported to MUSC by police officers. Authorities say when Blaine refused to go into the hospital, a doctor went into the back of the patrol car and removed a taser barb from Blaine's back.

One of the officers suffered a small laceration on his arm during the incident.

Copyright 2013 WCSC. All rights reserved.