Bond denied for Mt. Pleasant man accused in toddler's death

Bond denied for Mt. Pleasant man accused in toddler's death
Seabrook in bond court.
Seabrook in bond court.

MOUNT PLEASANT, SC (WCSC) - Bond was denied on Friday for a Mt. Pleasant man accused of killing a 2-year-old boy.

The Mt. Pleasant Police Department arrested Bryan Okeith Seabrook on Thursday and charged him with homicide by child abuse for the March 19 death of Elijah Washington, who was identified by the Charleston County Coroner's Office on Friday.

Investigators say Washington was killed by Seabrook, the child's grandmother's boyfriend.

A police report states the toddler suffered severe abdominal injuries as a result of blunt force trauma.

On March 19, 2013, a police officer responded to East Cooper Hospital to investigate a death. The officer was notified that Seabrook had brought a juvenile, who was unresponsive and pronounced dead a short time later, into the hospital.

Seabrook claimed it all began when the child was sitting at a table at home and vomited chips that he had just eaten. According to Seabrook, after he had given Washington a bath and clothed him, the child "messed his diaper."

Seabrook told investigators that he changed the child again and gave him some vitamin water. Investigators were also told by Seabrook that he noticed the child appeared to be weak and slumped over as he was in the bath tub.

Once the child drank the water, he was put into his grandmother's room along with his sister to watch a movie, Seabrook said. Seabrook told police that after a few minutes, he went to check on the child and saw that the juvenile was lying on his back and his jaw appeared to be locked shut.

Seabrook said he the tried to force the juvenile's mouth open to breathe for him. According to Seabrook, he was able to breathe into the child's mouth, but the air did not appear to go in.

After noticing blood coming from the child's nose, Seabrook said he picked the child up and transported him to the hospital with the child's two sisters accompanying them.

In an interview with police, the mother of the deceased child said that her family had been involved in a DSS investigation which had just ended giving custody of her children to the grandmother. The ruling also allowed the mother and Seabrook, the grandmother's boyfriend, to live at the same home.

We spoke with the grandmother for a few seconds Thursday. She said she has "no comment."

Seabrook is expected to have a bond hearing on Friday.

(Editor's note: A previous version of this story identified the suspect as the victim's father.  That was incorrect and Live 5 News regrets the error.)

Copyright 2013 WCSC. All rights reserved.