Man taken into custody after threatening jump from Ravenel Bridge

Published: Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:26 AM EDT|Updated: Jun. 24, 2013 at 7:59 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - A man who was threatening to jump off the Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge on Monday has been taken into custody, according to police.

The capture ended a standoff which lasted approximately five hours.

Mt. Pleasant police responded to the Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge on Monday morning after a person threatened to jump off.  According to dispatchers, the first reports of the person threatening to jump came in around 7 a.m.

Major Stan Gragg, police spokesman, said the man stepped across the lane barrier toward the water and was threatening suicide as he walked back and forth on the bridge ledge.

At 11:45 a.m., police closed all southbound lanes of traffic as they dealt with the situation. Several tense minutes later, the man was taken into custody.  He has since been transported to MUSC and will not be charged with a crime, according to police.

Gragg said because the situation lasted for several hours, officers provided the man with pizza and water before the standoff concluded.

All lanes were reopened to traffic a little after 12:20 p.m.

The incident caused significant delays for commuters out of Mt. Pleasant, backing traffic on Highway 17 and Coleman Boulevard up well into the town east of the Cooper River.

Motorists who tried to use Interstate 526 as an alternate route also ran into trouble.  Charleston police spokesman Charles Francis said a three-vehicle wreck in the westbound lanes of Interstate 526 just past the Clements Ferry Road exit happened around 9 a.m.  One lane was blocked for over an hour as crews worked on the scene.

A little before 11 a.m., Francis said a tow truck was en route to the scene to remove an overturned vehicle.  Two people were hospitalized with minor injuries.

Have a look with our Traffic Tracker.

Copyright 2013 WCSC.  All rights reserved.