Mother of Summerville man shot to death:'They didn't have to kill my son'

Published: Jul. 14, 2013 at 3:22 PM EDT|Updated: Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:22 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
The victim, Don'ta Pringle (Source: Facebook)
The victim, Don'ta Pringle (Source: Facebook)
Another photo of Pringle (Source: Facebook)
Another photo of Pringle (Source: Facebook)

CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - The mother of a 22-year-old Summerville man gunned down this past weekend is looking for answers in her son's death.

"I would just like to tell them that it was senseless what they did," said Heather Pringle talking about the men suspected of killing her son, Don'ta."The didn't have to shoot and kill my son. If they had a problem, they should've addressed my son. They shouldn't have killed him."

Brian Ancrum, 23, of Tripe Street, and Glendell Gladden, Jr., 29, of Robinhood Drive, were both denied bond on a charge of murder on Monday.

According to Charleston police spokesman Charles Francis, Pringle died from multiple gunshot wounds sustained at the Exxon Gas Station, located at the corner of Meeting and Woolfe streets, early Sunday morning.

On Sunday around 2 a.m., officers responded to the gas station in reference to a shooting. Witnesses told police that three people had been shot, with one identified as Pringle who later died as a result of his injuries.

An affidavit states it all started when five individuals had a conversation with a number of women at the gas station. Witnesses reported seeing Gladden leaving a dark colored SUV, driven by Ancrum, and walking in the parking lot.

According to investigators, the SUV pulled up toward Meeting Street and a subject was seen leaving the passenger side of the vehicle. Police say the vehicle turned on Woolfe Street and three minutes later gunfire was heard.

Don'ta and two other people were shot during the gunfire. Police say the victims then pulled out of the gas station attempting to take Don'ta to MUSC. Court records state the victims were then shot at by occupants of the SUV at the intersection of Woolfe and Nassau.

Investigators say Gladden and Ancrum were both identified in separate photo lineups by multiple witnesses.  An affidavit states that Glendale was identified as a passenger in the SUV and Ancrum was identified as the driver of the vehicle.

The two other victims, one female and one male, were taken to Trident Hospital and Roper St. Francis. Francis said both those victims have non-life-threatening injuries.

Police found a number of spent casings near the gas pumps on the east side of the gas station, an officer noted in his report.

The investigation is ongoing.

Copyright 2013 WCSC.  All rights reserved.