Man sentenced to 20 years for deadly James Island gun battle

Published: Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:07 PM EDT|Updated: Jul. 19, 2013 at 11:14 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
Domoneik Antwan Washington
Domoneik Antwan Washington
Emergency officials arrive to find a Chevy Impala had crashed into a tree near the intersection...
Emergency officials arrive to find a Chevy Impala had crashed into a tree near the intersection of Central Park and Folly Road. March 2011.

JAMES ISLAND, SC (WCSC) - Prosecutors say a 27-year-old man has been sentenced to 20 years in prison after pleading guilty in connection to a shoot-out on James Island two years ago which killed one man and injured two people.

Solicitor Scarlett Wilson announced that Domoneik Antwan Washington was found guilty of two counts of attempted murder and one cout of assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature. Circuit Court Judge Deadra L. Jefferson sentenced Washington to twenty years on each cout to be served concurrently.

The charges stem from an incident that happened on March 30, 2011 at the Kangaroo convenience store on 897 Folly Road. According to court officials, the shooting appeared to be the result of a fight that happened at a nearby nightclub earlier that evening.

Authorities say Washington, who was armed with a semi-automatic pistol, shot several rounds at three people who were in a Chevrolet Impala.

The car's driver, Antwan Wilson, was shot in the right thigh, but was able to get the car started and drive away from the convenience store. According to prosecutors, as the victims were traveling to the hospital, another vehicle followed Wilson's car and began to shoot at it.

When Wilson's car was in the area of Folly Road and Central Park Road, Wilson was fatally struck in the back of the head by a bullet causing his car to crash into a pole.

Prosecutors say the Charleston County Sheriff's Office was never able to identify the occupants of the vehicle from which the fatal round was fired, and Washington was tried only for the shooting at the Kangaroo.

Authorities say after shooting at the convenience store, Washington fled to Danville, Va. where he was caught by the U.S. Marshal's Task Force on May 16, 2011.

Washington will have to serve 85% of his sentence before being eligible for parole.

"This was a difficult case made even more difficult by the fact that one witness was dead, another refused to cooperate in any manner and a third witness was less than forth-coming," Chief Deputy Bruce DuRant said." In the end, the clerk from the Kangaroo really stood strong and brought us the conviction. Without brave witnesses like her being willing to help us, we cannot keep criminals off the streets."

Copyright 2013 WCSC. All rights reserved.