Authorities intercept mailed marijuana, arrest Mt. Pleasant man

Published: Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:01 PM EDT|Updated: Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:12 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

MT. PLEASANT, SC (WCSC) - A Mt. Pleasant man was arrested last week after a Charleston County sheriff's detective intercepted a package filled with marijuana and hashish at a shipping center, authorities say.

According to a Mt. Pleasant police report, the detective was inspecting in-bound parcels at a commercial mailing shipping center in the county last Thursday morning when he found a suspicious package. After obtaining a search warrant, police said the detective opened the package to find about half a pound of marijuana in a plastic, vacuum-sealed bag.

He also found a small, silver tin filled with about 10 grams of hashish, according to a police report.

The package was addressed to a "Jared Small" at 1237 Calais Drive in Mt. Pleasant, so the detective resealed the package and contacted a Mt. Pleasant detective to set up a sting, the report states.

Detectives and officers from both agencies then made a "controlled delivery" of the package to the Calais Drive home a little before 3 p.m. Police said 22-year-old Maxwell Blank took the package from an undercover detective and then signed a receipt for it.

Officers said Blank took the package and walked beside his home. Police said they then lost sight of Blank, so they executed a search warrant in the home, but no one was inside.

A short time later, other officers apprehended Blank and two teens in the parking lot of the nearby Sullivan's Island Elementary School.

Police said Blank confessed almost immediately to ordering the marijuana and hashish from Colorado, using "Jared Small" as his name. He was charged with possession with intent to distribute marijuana, possession with intent to distribute marijuana within proximity of a school, possession with intent to distribute hashish, and possession with intent to distribute hashish within proximity of a school.

Blank was taken to the Charleston County Detention Center, and was later issued a $40,000 bond on the charges. He remained behind bars Wednesday.

The two teens were questioned by police and then let go, according to the report.

Copyright 2013 WCSC.  All rights reserved.