Summerville man electrocuted while working on ice machine

Published: Aug. 26, 2013 at 6:52 PM EDT|Updated: Aug. 26, 2013 at 6:53 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

SUMMERVILLE, SC (WCSC) - The Berkeley County Coroner's Office says a man was electrocuted while he was working on an ice machine at his home in Summerville.

Coroner Bill Salisbury said 68-year-old James Montgomery died of electrocution.

On Saturday night, authorities responded to a home on Red Oak Circle. Authorities say Montgomery was last seen around 10:30 a.m., and was working on an ice machine in the garage behind his home.

The coroner's office says when Montgomery's wife could not reach him by phone, she called her son, who lives across the street, to check on him.

Authorities say Montgomery's son found his father on the floor near the ice machine, and called EMS. Montgomery was pronounced dead on the scene.

An autopsy was conducted at MUSC where the death was ruled an accident.

Salisbury says the incident is the second electrocution death in Berkeley County in the last two weeks. Sonny Harmon, 34, of Summerville died on Aug. 12 while working on a residential air conditioning system in Hanahan.

Copyright 2013 WCSC. All rights reserved.