Scott's BBQ damaged in early morning fire

Published: Nov. 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

WILLIAMSBURG COUNTY, SC (WCSC) - Authorities say a fire broke out at a popular Williamsburg County BBQ joint early Wednesday morning while employees were preparing food.

Williamsburg County Fire Chief Randy Swinton says the fire occurred at Scott's Barbeque in Hemingway at 4 a.m.

Officials say two employees were roasting 14 pigs in an adjacent shed overnight when they walked away for a moment. When they returned, the flame from one of the pits flared up and they couldn't get it under control.

The main building was not damaged, and no one was hurt in the fire.

The store has other pits and will remain open, officials say.

Scott's provides BBQ for the Charleston Wine and Food Festival, and also been featured on the Food Network and in newspapers around the country.

Copyright 2013 WCSC. All rights reserved.