Upstate teen electrocuted after squirrel causes fire on power line

Published: Jan. 3, 2014 at 6:37 PM EST|Updated: Jan. 3, 2014 at 6:44 PM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
(Photo: WYFF)
(Photo: WYFF)

ANDERSON COUNTY, SC (WYFF) - Authorities say an Upstate teenager was electrocuted after a squirrel came into contact with a power line which then fell on the teen.

The accident happened at a home on Christopher Lane in the Slab town community of Anderson County, said Coroner Greg Shore.

The coroner identified the victim as 16-year-old Emily Rose Donald.

Spokesperson for Blue Ridge Electric Terry Challenger said, "A squirrel climbed on top of the pole and came into contact with an energized wire."

According to Challenger, the contact killed the squirrel, and set the top of the pole on fire which made it smolder for several hours, causing the line to break and fall.

Shore says when the power line fell, Donald came into contact with it and was electrocuted.

Donald's body was discovered after the fire department responded to a call of a grass fire on Christopher Lane.

Copyright 2014 by WYFF All rights reserved.