Experts urge common sense to protect home and life during cold snap
NORTH CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - The potentially killer cold that will affect the Lowcountry Monday night and Tuesday has authorities warning people to protect their homes and their bodies.
Fire officials are concerned what happened at a mobile home on Carter Road in North Charleston may be a sign of things to come.
The trailer was destroyed by a fire last Friday.
Investigators say the residents turned on their oven to try to keep warm.
"Stoves are not designed to do that. That coil in your oven is designed to heat a very small insulated box, the oven and that's it," said Bianca Bourbeau with the North Charleston Fire Department. "When you open it and then try to heat the entire home, it overloads the system, can cause a fire."
Bourbeau says another concern is portable heaters.
she says too many people keep the heaters too close to other items.
"Clothing, furniture, curtains, anything that burns, you want to have that far enough away that it's not gonna dry that out to cause a fire."
The folks at Charleston County EMS also are concerned about the potentially killer cold.
"Our biggest concern is that people with already underlying medical conditions aren't gonna take care of themselves," said Director Don Lundy.
Lundy says many people tend to turn up the heat in their homes too high and that could be a big mistake.
"People who sit in heated homes, they get dehydrated without even knowing it, that sets up a whole new level of medical issues," said Lundy."You probably don't need to make the house 107 or 108, very hot. They can dress in layers and do the same thing."
The experts say when it comes to trying to keep warm, use common sense.
That way your home and your body will survive the dangerous cold snap.
©2014 WCSC. All rights reserved.