Authorities re-open Arthur Ravenel bridge lanes heading into Charleston

CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - Authorities have re-opened lanes on the Arthur Ravenel bridge heading into Charleston.

Charleston police say they will monitor its side for 15 minutes and reopen if no ice falls on its side.

The bridge was shut down after chunks of ice fell from the cables hitting several cars Friday morning.

Police received several reports of sheets of ice falling from the double diamonds and damaging cars. Authorities closed the bridge just before 10:30 a.m.

According to dispatch, one person driving across the bridge was injured when a falling chunk of ice shattered their windshield, sending glass into their eye.

A Live 5 viewer sent in a picture after ice crashed through their windshield. "I thought I was a goner," the viewer said.

Another motorist said she was on her way to work when she saw ice fall from the bridge.

"A large chunk of ice fell into my windshield as I was driving across the Ravenel Bridge on my way to work," said Maria Guerry."Glass shattered all over me and so I just drove as carefully as I could to Morrison Drive."

"I saw a large chunck of ice falling in front of me in the middle of the lane and it just hit the ground," said Millie Day."As soon as I saw that, I slowed down and then heard a large crash on top of my car."

A number of motorists are parked at the bottom of the bridge with shattered windshields from the ice.

Traffic cameras show the large pieces of ice falling on the roadway.

The SCDOT is working with area law enforcement to evaluate the situation. It is unknown at this time when the bridge will be reopened. 

This is the second time the Ravenel Bridge has been shut down this week. It was previously closed Tuesday night around 8 p.m. due to ice forming on the roadway, and remained closed until Thursday around 3 p.m.

The Ravenel Bridge has 128 large cables.

To keep up with roadway conditions on the Live 5 Traffic Tracker, click here.

Copyright 2014 WCSC. All rights reserved.