One firefighter injured in Bull Street fire

Crews respond to fire on Bull Street
Published: Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:07 AM EDT|Updated: Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:20 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - A Charleston firefighter suffered a minor injury on the scene of an apartment fire on Bull Street Tuesday morning.

Firefighters were called out to the 100 block of Bull Street around 2:50 a.m. after a resident of the 10 unit row house reported smoke in her unit and called 911, Deputy Chief John Tippett said. The smoke was coming from a fire in an adjacent unit.

The fire damage was primarily contained to the first floor of the unit, with minimal fire extension to the second and third floor through wall voids, with heavy smoke damage throughout, Tippett said. Adjacent units suffered minimal smoke damage.

The Fire Marshal Division determined the fire originated near the stove in the kitchen of the home, where an electric stove was accidentally turned on the previous evening. The stove ignited combustible materials stored on the stove surface, a fire department report states.

According to Tippett, a new tenant was in the process of moving into the home but was not at the residence at the time of the fire.

A Charleston firefighter suffered what Tippett called a minor shoulder injury and was treated on scene.

Firefighters evacuated the building and no other injuries were reported. The intersections of Bull Street and Ashley Avenue, along with Bull Street and Rutledge Avenue were closed while crews responded to the blaze.

Copyright 2014 WCSC All rights reserved.