Goose Creek man charged with attempted murder in bowling alley hostage incident

Published: Aug. 5, 2014 at 9:52 PM EDT|Updated: Aug. 6, 2014 at 11:45 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

GOOSE CREEK, SC (WCSC) - Investigators have charged a 47-year-old man with attempted murder and kidnapping in connection to a hostage incident that happened at a Goose Creek bowling alley.

The Goose Creek Police Department arrested Gary Curtis Fraley of Goose Creek who authorities say took the owner of the Royal Lanes on Central Avenue hostage and fired a gun.

According to Goose Creek PD spokesman Capt. Jon Grainger, officers responded to the bowling alley around 5:30 p.m. for a report of shots fired in the manager's office.

As officers were responding they were told that a man, later identified as Fraley, was inside the bowling alley and was armed with a gun.

Emergency dispatch officials told authorities that Fraley was arguing with the owner of the bowling alley, and a gunshot was reported.

Jordan Powell was one of the people who heard the shot as she was getting ready to bowl.

"I was walking to the lane getting ready to take my turn and 'Boom!' it just happened," Powell said."Everyone just kind of froze. We weren't really certain at first what it was."

"We heard what sounded like a gunshot right behind us in the office," said a witness."A young lady said it smelled like gun we all left the building."

Powell said everyone eventually left the building and were moved to a nearby field.

Grainger said Fraley held the owner of the business for a few minutes. According to police, Fraley then stayed in the manager's office after the owner left.

When police arrived they found Fraley's van still running in front of the bowling alley. Officers then spoke to several witnesses who were inside the business who said they heard a single gunshot and smelled the residue from the weapon.

Police and SWAT then surrounded the area and attempted to negotiate with Fraley to come out of the office.

According to Grainger, around 7:11 p.m., Fraley was taken into custody by SWAT who utilized a taser to take Fraley into custody. Grainger had earlier reported that Fraley had surrendered.

Witnesses in the area took pictures around 5:40 p.m. of law enforcement surrounding the bowling alley with weapons drawn.

"I was scared because of all the stories about the shootings that have been happening down here," Powell said."That was just the first thing that came to mind when I heard the shot."

Copyright 2014 WCSC. All rights reserved.