Firefighters, community gift Walterboro family with presents after house fire

Published: Dec. 16, 2014 at 4:37 AM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
Source: Brian Rowe
Source: Brian Rowe

WALTERBORO, SC (WCSC) - A Walterboro family will still be celebrating with presents this Christmas, despite their home being destroyed by fire.

The Cooper family's home along Davis Circle in Walterboro caught on fire due to an electrical problem, in November. The family of three had only been in the house for less than two weeks at the time.

During the initial walk-through of the house after the fire, Colleton County Fire and Rescue firefighter Brian Rowe said he noticed a print from the department's annual coloring contest for area second-graders. Despite a chance to win a bike, the Coopers' daughter, Khaleigh, did not turn it in.

Shortly thereafter, Rowe posted a message on his Facebook page to collect donations to purchase a bike for Khaleigh. After an overwhelming response, Rowe was able to buy a bike, and gift the family with gift cards totaling $1,000.

"To me, [Brian] is an angel to our family," Juan Cooper said. "I can't thank him enough."

Rowe says he has since framed Khaleigh's picture and hung it inside of his fire station.

Copyright WCSC 2014. All rights reserved.