Child alerts family to flames in Colleton County

Published: Jan. 3, 2015 at 4:38 AM EST|Updated: Feb. 24, 2015 at 2:23 AM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

COLLETON COUNTY, SC (WCSC) - Officials say a child may have saved her relatives' lives following a house fire in Ruffin, S.C. on Friday.

A representative with the Colleton County Fire Department says it was just before 3 a.m. when the child woke up to find her Blaine Court home on fire. She woke an adult who saw fire coming from a wall behind a television set.

The two adults and five children living in the home were able to get out and call 9-1-1 from a neighbor's telephone.

Firefighters arrived to find the home well-involved. They say most of the blaze was extinguished within the first 15 minutes, but they stayed on scene performing overhaul for over two-and-a-half hours.

A woman and infant were taken to the Colleton Medical Center and treated for smoke inhalation.

The fire was caused by a faulty electrical outlet, according to investigators. They say the home did not have smoke detectors, and the family lost everything inside. The American Red Cross is assisting the family.

Copyright 2015 WCSC. All rights reserved.