Carbon monoxide deaths prompt call for detectors in homes

Carbon monoxide deaths prompt call for detectors in homes
Published: Feb. 17, 2015 at 6:13 PM EST|Updated: Feb. 17, 2015 at 6:47 PM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - Expected bitter cold temperatures in the next few days are prompting calls for people to install carbon monoxide detectors in their homes.

This past weekend in Orangeburg, a 27-year-old woman and her five-year-old son died from carbon monoxide poisoning. Investigators say heating exhaust was to blame and that the home did not have a carbon monoxide detector.

"Carbon monoxide is odorless, it's colorless, it's invisible," Dr. Lance Davis of Roper St. Francis Hospital says.

Davis says minor symptoms of Carbon monoxide poisoning include nausea and dizziness. He says major symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, chest pains and shortness of breath.

"It is highly toxic," Davis says.

Daniel Donelson of Lowe's says anyone who has gas appliances at home needs a carbon monoxide detector.

"You've got water heaters, stoves, anything that supplies gas," Donelson says.

Donelson says carbon monoxide detectors work like smoke detectors.

"You're going to get about an 85-decibel sound, so it's going to be enough to let you know something's wrong," Donelson says.

Donelson says the detectors range from about $20 to $60 each.

"You're spending a few bucks to maybe save your life. It seems like it's worth it to me," he said.

Copyright 2015 WCSC. All rights reserved.