Teen indicted for murder in fatal Mt. Pleasant stabbing

Published: May. 6, 2015 at 4:54 PM EDT|Updated: May. 6, 2015 at 7:02 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

MT. PLEASANT, SC (WCSC) - A Charleston County grand jury has indicted a Mt. Pleasant teen for murder in the fatal stabbing of a 17-year-old male back in January.

Police say Matthew Fischer, 17, admitted to stabbing Lucas Cavanaugh twice in the stomach during a fight outside a home in Park West the night of January 18.

Jurors handed down the indictment for murder on Monday following a General Sessions, finding Fischer acted with "malice aforethought" in the murder of Cavanaugh. Fischer was also indicted on a charge of possession of a weapon during the commission of a violent crime.

According to an incident report, the fatal altercation was sparked after Fischer found messages on his girlfriend's cell phone from Cavanaugh while at her house on Baltusrol Lane. Fischer then used his girlfriend's phone to message Cavanaugh, eventually saying "Come over" and "I'll kill you man," affidavits state.

Fischer's girlfriend told police they went outside a short time later to meet Cavanaugh as he drove up to her home. The two teens began to wrestle in the road, with Cavanaugh eventually putting Fischer in a headlock, she said.

That is when Fischer reportedly pulled out a 3-inch knife and stabbed Cavanaugh in the stomach twice. Fischer immediately backed away from Cavanaugh and ran as the injured teen fell to the ground, his girlfriend told officers.

A report states Fischer's mother brought him back to the crime scene after he called to tell her what happened. Police say Fischer confessed to the stabbing on video, and provided a written confession.

Fischer was arrested and charged with murder and possession of a knife during commission of a violent crime.  After initially being held without bond, Fischer was granted a $100,000 bond on March 6, released, and put on house arrest.

According to affidavits, Fischer and his girlfriend initially claimed the messages were sent using Snapchat, a mobile app that allows users to send photos or message that disappear after a set number of seconds. His girlfriend later admitted to police the messages were sent using iMessage. When asked why she initially said the messages were sent by Snapchat, she reportedly told officers she thought they could not retrieve Snapchat messages.

A trial has not yet been set.

Copyright 2015 WCSC. All rights reserved.