CHARLESTON COUNTY, SC (WCSC) - A book drive throughout the month of July is honoring the life of Emanuel AME shooting victim Cynthia Graham Hurd.
Graham was an employee of the Charleston County public library system at the St. Andrews branch prior to her death.
"Reading is essential," said Malcolm Graham, president of the Cynthia Graham Hurd Foundation."We don't want any slip-off's during the summer when we're in the pools or having cookouts. We still want them to be engaged in the educational process which is reading."
The branch recently unveiled a portrait of her as part of a series of events to honor the Emanuel 9.
The book drive will run through the month of July. Gently used children's books can be donated at six Charleston Public Library locations and several Mellow Mushroom locations.
Drop off points are located at six Charleston County Public Library's branch libraries:
- Dorchester Road Regional Library – 6325 Dorchester Road, North Charleston, 843-552-6466
- Hurd/St. Andrews Regional Library – 1735 N. Woodmere Drive, Charleston, 843-766-2546
- John’s Island Regional Library – 3531 Maybank Highway, John’s Island, 843-559-1945
- Main Library – 68 Calhoun Street, Charleston, 843-805-6930
- Mt. Pleasant Regional Library – 1133 Mathis Ferry Road, Mt. Pleasant, 843-849-6161
- Otranto Road Regional Library – 2261 Otranto Road, North Charleston, 843-572-4094
Drop off points at three Mellow Mushroom locations:
- Mellow Mushroom North Charleston - 4855 Tanger Outlet Blvd., North Charleston
- ·Mellow Mushroom Summerville - 1306 North Main St., Summerville
- ·Mellow Mushroom West Ashley - 19 Magnolia Rd., Charleston